In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Demolition Hammer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Skier76, Sep 27, 2026.

  1. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,021
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    This was one of those rent vs. buy decisions. If I rented it in CT, the three day total would have been more then the cost of buying. If I rented it up north, I was looking at a 35 minute drive each way to pick up and drop off. I figured buying it made sense…and I’ll have it in the future.

    It’s nothing crazy, some rando brand from Amazon. It had good reviews and seemed like it would do the job based on some feedback from AI.

    So what was the job? These round cement rings that were on the back part of our property. They’d been there since we bought it and were a bit of an eye sore. Plus, being across the stream and heavy, there was really no way to remove them without equipment and effort. I used the generator which I managed to get across the stream with an assist from a pallet that had somewhat of a smooth top to it.

    Here’s the unit:

    IMG_0562.jpeg

    Here’s ring #1:
    IMG_0555.jpeg IMG_0556.jpeg


    Generator setup:
    IMG_0557.jpeg

    IMG_0558.jpeg IMG_0559.jpeg

    I used a combo of the pointed tip and the chisel tip for this. I learned to took too much time trying to bust this up in small bits. It was reinforced with some wire, but the chisel went through it pretty easily.


    Ring #2

    IMG_0560.jpeg

    This one I used the chisel attachment and hit it from the top and basically chunked it. Worked well and took a lot less time.


    IMG_0561.jpeg

    I did this project awhile back. Aside from sweating my loins off, it went smoothly. It was a bit of work to heave all the remnants in the trailer and bring them up back, but worth it in the end. The back area looks much cleaner. My wife and I put down grass seed and it came in really well. I’ll get some pics and update the thread .
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,706
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Smart move buying vs renting. Could always sell on FBM.

    Had I known I would've letcha borrow the Isocore. Works great as a sledgehammer and is covered by warranty (I hope) if it breaks.
     
  3. John D

    John D

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2024
    Messages:
    1,430
    Likes Received:
    7,283
    Location:
    Syracuse ny
    That’s the same one I bought except mines black. I bought it a while ago and when needed it’s great to have. Make sure you fill it with oil I don’t remember but I think I read and used 15/40 oil
     
  4. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,679
    Likes Received:
    130,988
    Location:
    Vermont
    Understand the dilemma, went to my nieces birthday party her husband was having the same dilemma with a hardwood floor nailer.. $250 to rent for week and $400 to buy one. BUT how often does a regular guy need to install new hardwood floors.
    My casual response; you could just borrow one in my barn..

    edit I got a demo hammer out there too
     
    metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal, RCBS and 8 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,706
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    A lot of tools like that are bought new by DIYers and then sold. I see stuff like that quite often on FBM
     
  6. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,021
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    Thanks guys! Brad, I did think about tackling it with a sledge, but figured I’d take the mechanical advantage.

    Good tip on the oil! It came with some and has a sight glass. For the price, this worked well. It’ll be good to have on hand.
     
  7. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,749
    Likes Received:
    20,843
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    My theory has always been if it is more than half to rent I buy it. If you buy it you always have it and if you decide to sell it. you will get more than half back.
     
  8. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,679
    Likes Received:
    130,988
    Location:
    Vermont
    This attitude will cause a 30x50 barn to be full to the teeth with tools; when combined with I forgot xxx not driving 50 miles to get a faucet wrench worth at most $20 I have 5:whistle:

    I don’t sell tools or anything I am a hoarder.. But I give extras away when family/friends buy a house and need guidance to fix things..
    man version of hope chest