It split easily just like red oak too. Plenty of oaks in the area as well. No medullary rays on the end though.
I picked up this small roadside log today and I’m not too sure what I got. At first I thought it was some kind of hickory with the color and tight...
13° F this morning with the stove packed with red and sugar maple. I wasn't sure what pile(s) I wanted to start drawing from next to finish out...
Sycamore maple? Bark kind of reminded me of sycamore a little bit. Never saw a sycamore maple in person though. Thought London Planetree too but...
Opposite branching says maple, and according to a quick Google search maples are in the soapberry family. So I’m guessing some kind of exotic...
The snow storm finally moved out. 31 heading down to the low teens by morning. Taking it easy right now with one piece of boxelder and a piece of...
If you would tap a boxelder, would you tap a Norway maple? A quick Google search says you can, not that you should... When I process Norway maple,...
28/72 and burning an odd mix of black locust and cottonwood, just to get rid of it. Snow is moving in around midnight, so tomorrow’s commute to...
That’s dedication :thumbs:
Wow. You did a heck of a job there bringing the story to life with imagery and crafty wordsmithing :thumbs: :rofl: :lol:
This is the first time I’m hearing of the boxelder bugs. Guess I’ll be finding out firsthand in a few years when all the boxelder seeds I threw in...
X2. About 18" is the largest I've ever come across. They're extremely slow growing and shade-intolerant like black locust is. I think they were...
27 at home this morning. I got the stove fired up with a mix of black locust, apple, and a small bucket full of (untreated!) 2x3 lumber scraps,...
Yeah typically our daytime highs rise above freezing, so we don’t get the ice buildup you guys do. Some especially warm years it doesn’t even get...
It’s definitely been a mixed bag here. November-December was an extended shoulder season. January up to mid February brought real winter with a...
Most of my piles have tarps on the top, which faired okay. They were weighted down pretty well. I have corrugated plastic roof panels on a couple...
Yep, that definitely looks like black locust from where I'm sitting :yes:
29 and holding steady for the overnight. Red oak and red maple shorties up to bat tonight. I just brought in 3 wheelbarrow loads of spruce, as the...
I cut all these on my table saw. Starting out with scrounged logs, I use the chainsaw to cut them roughly to length. Then I split them down the...
Alright, I’ve got a nice stack of chestnut boards milled to a consistent 15” length, mostly 2” width but a bunch of 3” and a handful of 2.5” Some...