In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Ground hogs

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Rich L, Jul 4, 2019.

1. unclefess

unclefess Guest

i up there as often as i can be ,it will be permanent at some point ,i cant wait :thumbs:

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

A metal fence buried at least 3 feet into the ground all the way around your garden. Traps, kill stick, and/or rifle, deep trash bucket, rodent repellent(fox urine, etc..). List could fill a book or two.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Conibear trap... quick & quite... I started out using a spring loads pellet gun... then went to a 22. But with my “new” neighbor... I transferred all my traps to conibears.... just know what your hunting... cause anything caught in them will be dead...

4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Can be hard on appendages.

5. Rich L

Rich L

I placed wired fencing under my raised beds then put up fencing around them.If they dig under the fence they'll hit the wired fencing under the raised beds.Seems to be working.

6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

We put one on the recycle pile this morning, it was a young non trap savvy chuck that was slowed down with broccoli and stopped by Mr. Marlin in .22lr

7. unclefess

unclefess Guest

yes it can, never reach underwater for one you cant see

8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I've never trusted just a fence as chucks can climb.

9. Chaz

Chaz

Very true.

I remember trying to get one on the side of the road, I'll be da##ed if the thing didn't climb up a tree.

:hair::bug:

Didn't see that one coming.
    :doh:

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

We’ve had two so far this season. Buggers dig under my pallet/skid stacks so they get dispatched quickly. My 22lr is open sights so they usually get the 22mag.
    I even have a small fence around my garden but I guess I need more staples. My daughter sent me these pics. He showed himself a few days later and I didn’t miss.
    2D01AB3A-DEA5-45C5-83A1-EEBEEA655D24.jpeg DD922957-4E66-4548-A9D8-91BBE85D377A.jpeg
    He was squeezing between the fence and rr tie. Smh

11. chris

chris

I might have to switch to the 22 hornet as I have at least one that hangs about 100+ yards out - that is very marginal distance for the 22 rim fires (dwell time), although I hear interesting things about the .17 rimfire. ( just what I need :thumbs: another rifle/ pistol) Cheap enough to get a barrel for the TC contender platform.

Up until last year the dang things were protected unless causing a problem for livestock on farm. PITA group managed to slip that in the regs a number of years ago. Finally got it reversed.

12. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Is that the reason for the warning about the 1 1/2 mile range printed on my .22lr boxes?

13. unclefess

unclefess Guest

if you handload for the hornet try the barnes varmint grenade ,it's 30 grains of pure entertainment ,i use it in a 14'' contender the results are devastating

14. Rich L

Rich L

I've never seen that yet but since you have I'll put a screen roof up.Thanks.

15. ironpony

ironpony

I have one lives under the shed. Friendly little fella. I see no reason to kill things needlessly but thats just me.

16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

The boss draws the line at her veggies. Go after them and the bullets will fly.

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ive seen a final drive torn off a combine.
    IIRC the parts cost over $3000.
    And acres of soy beans destroyed.

They are very destructive little animals!

18. chris

chris

1.5 miles-- yes at the proper launch angle if all theroized things were perfect . if memory serves me correctly apx 300 ft /sec would be remaining depending initial velocity and pill weight. More a matter of deflected trajectory.
    A few years ago some pregnant immigrant said she was hit by a 45acp- Supposed came from a club range about a mile away over hill and dale and through the botanical stuff. ( I am still calling this bs- more like a stone squirted out from under a truck truck tire) sitting outside at a restaurant just off freeway. The local powers that be have been trying to close that club down for eons ( used to be a member there in the early 80's) ( not the first time for this type of attack from a couple local board members also involving local LEO's) Too long a story. Is it possible? In theory, yes. Better chance of buying one of those multi millon lottery tickets.

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We don't have those critters this far down in GA, seen a few in the mountains though. I wonder if a few strands of electric fence would deter them. Works on deer and other critters around gardens here.

20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

With 120 volts in each strand...:)