In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2015 moose mount

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Rope, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Rope

Rope

45" is a good moose, I am a meat hunter. The bigger the antlers, typically the larger the body. I look to fill the freezer. I have taken some 30's and they are the most tender eating, but only 300-500 pounds of meat and not enough for the family for the year. I shoot the first legal moose I see. I have no desire to eat a tag....again. My largest was a 60 1/4 he was a large fella.

2. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Freezer full of good meat cant be bad, i just got 3 roebucks in the freezer. No moose around here :rofl: :lol:....except me according to my wife. Or did she call me a stubborn mule? Anyway did you had to stalk him for a while? What caliber you use on moose? Lead or leadfree?

Pic was edited by me*

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    eatonpcat, Leadfarmer, Loon and 3 others like this.
  3. Rope

Rope

I use copper for slaying and lead for playing. Barnes x in different flavors, for moose I have been using either a 6.5 SAUM or a 338 Win mag.

4. Rope

Rope

Unfortunately I have more guns than moose tags. I have been gravitating to custom rifles and my factory guns don't get much/any use now. So the 6.5 and 338 get used for hunting my 260 rem is to heavy (23 lbs) to hike with. I have been eyeballing a new lightweight sheep/mountain rifle. might have to add another to the stable.

Ronaldo, Leadfarmer, Loon and 5 others like this.
  5. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Same here, even though i hear alot of people complaining about it.
    Lets say you hit lung and heart, did you expierenced any difference compared with lead ammo?

6. Rope

Rope

I have not seen any difference using any kind of projectile. Because I hunt in very difficult terrain, I am cautious with shot placement. All moose I have shot have not taken a step, I wait for a reasonable shot, I want absolutes. Either head or heart/double lung.

Bergera has a good name over here, with good accuracy.

Ronaldo, Leadfarmer, Loon and 3 others like this.
  7. Rope

Rope

The Barnes X, TTX, and LRX open up to 4 petals. I have seen pics that they barley opened, and they looked just like any other round that impacted at low velocity. Not being a ballistician, I go with what I know...put one through the brain or double lung/heart its over instantly.

8. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Considering buying a .308, thought about using RWS HIT. I reckon i need to check em out.
    Thanks for the info.

9. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Yeah,, tag soup isn’t very satisfying! I had to eat my first moose tag, but the adventure up there was well worth it

10. Rope

Rope

As you know any good round will work. All copper rounds have come along way over the years. Barnes among other have really stepped up their game. I am sure you will find a suitable 308 round. Do you handload?

11. Rope

Rope

Tag soup...will teach you some humility. That's a lesson that I never want to experience again.

12. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

I reckon so, think ill saw barnes ttsx in the shop ill have em in mind.
    No i dont, youll need an extra license for that around here so better just stick with whats on the shelf.

Rope, Leadfarmer and Chaz like this.
  13. unclefess

unclefess Guest

you need a licence to handload ? could you explain why ,i am curious

14. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

From 5 yards?? I know you changed your undergarments after that one!:hair: As you know, we have Moose here in NH, and I have seen warning charges from 50 feet and wished I was somewhere else then. And that was just a cow.

Rope, Chaz, HolsatiaRedneck and 2 others like this.
  15. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Youll need to take a class by a certified instructor. A background check and a Need such as hunting etc.
    So basicly reloading ammo is put on par with handling explosives sort of.
    I might missed some details but thats sort of how the cookie crumbles.

Amen! Ive seen Moose up in the swedish countryside years ago. Happy to watch em from the distance :thumbs:

16. unclefess

unclefess Guest

NH mountain man, Rope and Chaz like this.
  17. Rope

Rope

I was on my wheeler abou 12 miles out of camp headed to a ridge that overload a promising valley. The day before I had spent the day calling from the overlook. I was one ridge away when I saw something that didn't look right. Using binos I spotted the bull bedded down. Dismounting the wheeler I eased across the ridge to the break over and set up for a ridge to ridge prone shot.

Looking back I now realize I took too long prepping for the setup and shot. Lazered the shot and prepared for a 734 yard shot. Grabbed my data book, checked for similar shots did the math and double checked my work. Factoring in wind, altitude, inclination, density altitude one last math check. I am ready to take the shot, flight time was .7 seconds. I made a few dry fires and loaded a custom match hunting round, as I feel the trigger break I see the bull stand. Poof of dust at his feet, he was confused and looking at the dust. Snaps his head up and to the side, I see a cow trot off, into the brush towards me.

I began calling in hope of seeing the pair again. After a period I see them on the same ridge just to my left, 400-450 yards. He is pushing her hard, I challenged the bull, and he stopped the chase and started thrashing brush and tress alike. I start my approach cross a field of tussocks get into the brush. Time check an hour has passed, concerned I missed my chance, I start a grid search looking for the raked brush looking for a direction to chase.

The brush was fairly thick so I transferred my rifle to my left hand, clearing limbs with my right hand while trying to keep the noise down. I edge over a small knoll I see antlers, step around the brush thinking I am about to get a close shot. All I have to do is clear the brush transfer the rifle, shoulder and celebrate. I missed seeing a stick as I was clearing the brush, I felt it snap underfoot

The bull now 5 yards charges the sound head down, there I am rifle in the wrong hand. I drew the Glock 20 on my strong side hip. Pointed center mass and fired, sight picture was just below his nose center chest. As the trigger broke, I see his head dip twisting his rack between 2 trees. I don't recall how much ground he covered, as the shot rang out he picked his head up, expelled all the air out of his nostrils. Snot and moisture particles glistening in the sun as he locked his legs screeching to a stop. The primal beast bellowing his hot breath in my direction, the recoil impulse bringing the Glock out of my locked in eye contact.

Out comes my war bellow back, he raised his head! With the Glock still rising upward, I see opertunity in the pause, release my grip on the pistol, and shoulder my rifle. I see the crosshair settle on his chest as I squease the trigger his head dips and the charge has unpaused. The shot rings I see ripples of skin through the scope as he rears up on his hind legs, front legs pawing at the air. Over backwards antlers pierce the soil on his back spread eagle in all his glory. As I lower the rifle I see the remaining breath slowly exhale as his chest shrank. This is mere feet away and then I fell something on the top of my foot.

I was already chambering another round as I was swinging the muzzle down to confront the new threat. There is a Glock laying on the arch on the top of my boot, muzzle facing the bull. I take a deep breath, two steps to the magnificent moose. I take a knee beside his head, rub his muzzle, thank him for his gift of life. Somehow without a scratch I had managed to survive the encounter.

I decided then to have him taxidermied as a monument to such a magnificent animal.

18. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Cool story. On my second moose hunt up there my hunting buddy had to stop a grizzly charge. He shot from the hip while backing up. He stumbled in the tussocks and fell. Luckily the shot was true and the bear fell too! We figured they were 9 ft apart! & it was a 9ft bear!

19. Rope

Rope

Hairy situation right there! Glad it turned out in your favor.

20. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Yep, he broke down in tears. Thought it was all over for him. Can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same thing once it was over and had a chance to think about it.