In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

25+ year old locust posts

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Timberdog

Timberdog

:rofl: :lol:

buZZsaw BRAD and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Great bit of information. Thanks for the education. As far as i know only the black locust is around here. With the looks of those thorns, dont know if id wanna process any on the honey variety.
    welcome to the forum Slacker :handshake:, great to have you.

3. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Is the honey locust & black locust equal in btus?

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

There is the difference. Run them apples through the cows and the trees are great.

5. Backwoods Savage

Not really sure here as we don't have any but think I've heard or read that black is just a touch higher than honey but not by much. I could easily stand corrected on this though.

6. Slacker

Slacker

7. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Did you intensely put those splinters around the base of the tree?

Midwinter and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. Timberdog

Timberdog

That’s mulch. I get it for free from our local dump. But if you mean did I do that on purpose...Yes. I did. But if you mean was I intense when I did that, then no. It was a lazy afternoon.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  9. Timberdog

Timberdog

Don’t cows chew the seeds up?

10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hey Locust Post, do you remember when you were 25...? :whistle:
    :wacky:

:D

11. Locust Post

Locust Post

A little foggy for sure.

12. jo191145

jo191145

Ok, I’m gonna bite (pun intended). Why would a tree planted like that produce poor quality fruit?

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Welcome to the club. Bunch of great folks on here, sharing knowledge and humor. On the top of the page (FHC) , click on menu drop down box, under resources, there are several interesting articles on BTU'S, drying times, a great article by Backwoods Savage on wood burning...check it out...

14. Timberdog

Timberdog

Well, I really hate to go into the reason because then I will unintentionally hijack this thread and that was not my intention. But since you asked....basically the reason has to do with fruit trees are usually grown from grafts into parent trees and the seeds are not necessarily going to produce fruit like the one you ate. It has to do with genetics, grafting, pollination of male and female etc, etc....the grafted tree was pollinated from two varieties (the parent tree and the graft) in the orchard and the tree I raise only has one so the results you get are hit or miss. By doing it the way I am doing it you often get big fruit but poor tasting or you get good tasting fruit but puny in size. Sometimes you don’t get any fruit or very little. Sometimes you luck out and it’s actually really good both in size and taste. It’s a crap shoot. So I am not expecting good fruit to eat. If it happens—great, icing on the cake! But I am raising these for future firewood coppicing purposes. I am not an orchardist nor an expert on this and may be off a little on my explanation but I think it’s close enough you can get the gist of it.

There are plenty of places on the Internet that go into more detail (better and more accurate than my attempt to explain it) but here is a quote from the PennState extension website:
    “Homeowners and amateur fruit growers often like to experiment and grow tree fruit from seed. Frequently many of these people have the mistaken impression that a tree grown from seed will produce fruit exactly like the fruit they saw or consumed. This is an erroneous assumption because the seed is a product of the pollen (male) source and the flower ovule (female) source. The seed will produce the same kind of plant--that is an apple peach or pear. The fruit, however, will have a mixture of the two parent's characteristics. Although this may be disheartening for the person trying to preserve that favorite fruit it should be pointed out that many of our current apple cultivars were discovered as chance seedlings. Several good examples of this are Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and McIntosh...”

Hobbiest Gardening - Growing Fruit Tree Plants from Seed

And here is another excellent explanation:
    Is It Possible to Grow Apples From Seeds?
    “Apples do not reproduce true to type, meaning that the tree from the seed will produce apples that are almost certain to be different than the parent. You can have fun and experiment, but don't expect to have the same fruit.

As Organic Gardening magazine advises, "Most apple varieties are self-unfruitful, which means their blossoms must be fertilized with the pollen of a separate variety in order to achieve good fruit set." The fruit produced will be the same as the parent tree, but the seeds will be a cross between the two varieties. There are a few varieties that can be self-pollinated, so it could be possible to get true-to-type from those kinds.

Also, almost all varieties are unable to pollinate themselves. They rely on insects like bees to transfer pollen. Unless you pollinate the tree yourself by hand, there is no way to know who the other parent variety is.

What Are Some Problems That Could Occur?
    There's a very good chance the apples won't even be edible. Many apple trees are pollinated by crabapples, which are usually small and inedible or, well, just not very tasty. The chances of getting a truly delicious apple are very small.

Seeds from your dwarf apple tree will often produce full-sized trees. Many of these dwarf trees sold are created by grafting the variety onto a dwarfing rootstock. The variety itself may have the full-size genes, so that is what will come out when crossed.

Also, apple trees from seed take longer to produce fruit. It usually takes about 7 to 10 years before you can even tell if you are lucky and have good fruit...”

So the long and the short of it is I am not raising these for fruit I am raising them for wood. Apologies for the hijack.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  15. Backwoods Savage

No, the seeds come out whole. Also no doubt come out hole.

16. jo191145

jo191145

It’s not hijacking per se. We’re merely taking the scenic route. LOL
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Maybe I should have inquired from Dennis how the cow creates better seed?
    I just asked my mom at lunch before seeing your reply about the cow seed thing. She’s the closest thing we have to an old farmer in this hood. She never heard of this folklore.
    Dennis?

17. Timberdog

Timberdog

Well, I’ll try it should I ever acquire a cow.;)

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It comes out prefertilized so it gets a big head start! :rofl: :lol:
    I've hijacked my own thread! :rofl: :lol::Yar:

19. jo191145

jo191145

Hey!! Your driving! Eyes straight ahead and hands on the wheel!

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i dont have a smart phone. All my FHC stuff is done from home on my little laptop. I have used her phone a couple times to post
    first time ive heard of anyone growing their own firewood!
    You have any special Miracle Gro fertilizer to make them get big fast?
    Im curious as to what size they will be in 15 years.