In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

We Have Ignition...I hope!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jul 8, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Headed out camping for a few days tomorrow in state. Back in late Winter i made my first Swedish torch from an 8-9" diameter,14" long spruce round (looked green fresh cut) i scrounged from the dump. Ive had it in the sun on the deck (Southern exposure) for a few months and hope its dry enough to use.
    My question: whats the best way to light it? Never used one. I cut the kerfs concave in the bottom of the center. IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0636.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Horkn, Steve697, M2theB and 12 others like this.
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I hope you get great weather and also have a great time but watch out for the Sidehill Gouger. :D

The sidehill gouger is yet another "fearsome critter" from North American folklore. They're peaceful herbivores, who live in mountainside burrows, and lay between six to eight eggs. If you look closely at the painting above, you'll notice the mother is a "left-sided" gouger, while her pup is "right-sided." This tragic occurance results in much heartache when the unfortunate pup is unable to follow its mother around their mountain home. When gougers try to travel in the wrong direction, they tip over and fall, rendering them helpless to wild predators and human hunters. Another difficulty occurs when "left-sided" and "right-sided" gougers manage to mate and produce pups with mismatched legs. For example, the offspring may have a short right front leg, and a long right back leg. These sad little pups soon become a predator's meal.

It's said gougers from the Appalachians have fur only on the side facing away from the mountain. Apparently, rubbing against the boulders on the mountain's slope wears the fur off, leaving the skin smooth to the touch, and tough like leather. Those characteristics make the gougers' furless side very attractive to handbag makers.

[​IMG]
    A badger-like gouger with corkscrew tail

It obvious no one truly knows what a sidehill gouger looks like. While some observers swear the gouger resembles a goat, others keenly insist a badger fits the bill. Even the creature's name is cause for disagreement. Though sidehill gouger is the most popular tag, other names include wowser, hunkus, rickaboo racker and cutter cuss. It's certainly enough to make me cuss! In Vermont, the gouger is called the wampahoofus. Enterprising farmers of that state bred the creatures to cows so their bovines could easily traverse the mountainous environment. This must have been the origin of my father's cow story. Personally, I like sidehill gouger the best. They walk on hillsides, and gouge out a path in the process.

Horkn, tamarack, jo191145 and 8 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

more concerned about a sasquatch or banjo music! Although the raccoons in this campground were very brazen years back. Go right on the picnic table while you were sitting there in the dark staring at the fire.

Horkn, jo191145, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  5. cnice_37

cnice_37

I had good luck with a chunk of super cedar in the top center. As it burns down the center channel starts to go top to bottom.

Otherwise stuff a bunch of sawdust in the bottom and hope for the best, maybe with charcoal lighting fluid?

Horkn, MikeInMa, jo191145 and 6 others like this.
  6. Redneck

Redneck

Use some of the noodles you have made. When they are dry they work great.

7. In the Pines

In the Pines

paddle faster.
    [​IMG]
    For those of us who like banjos though, I reckon it could go either way..
    PS: I have this shirt and I like banjos

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Can i borrow it for a few days? We are camping along a river thats popular for canoes! Meant no disrespect to you or anyone by the comment!

Horkn, tamarack, Hellcat and 7 others like this.
  9. In the Pines

In the Pines

ha none taken at all.:cool: I like wearing it to bluegrass shows. It's well worn, I probably need to get a new one.

Horkn, Hellcat, jo191145 and 7 others like this.
  10. Reloader

Reloader

Some paper and wax fire on top starters work well on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

gMwiO6f.jpg

12. billb3

billb3

Camping in their back yard ? That looks rather well maintained lawn in that pic. That's also an awful bright light for a camera. Especially considering the "red eye" effect is only affecting the critters further away rather than close. Like the critters closer have had time for the pupils to adjust to a bright spotlight.

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Looks to me like the “flash” is so bright that it’s difficult to see their glowing eyes...:yes:

14. jo191145

jo191145

Just when you thought it was safe to get out of the tent.

Brad we will be expecting a full report.

15. M2theB

M2theB

MikeInMa may have some words of wisdom here

16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I used a round of white pine, that was cut about a year ago. The bark was flaking off.

As my profile picture shows, I made 3 cuts. Your 2 cuts may be fine.

At this past NH gtg, Well seasoned had a piece of Firestarter that we smooshed into the intersection of the cuts. Lit it, and it burned down into the round. I suspect a small fire ofrom thin twigs or noodles, on the top would work as well. But, top light, for sure.

It lasted about 90mins, I'd guess, before I kicked it into the campfire.

Once it gets going, it's more of a smouldering round of coals, and not a bright round of flame.

Have fun!!!

17. imwiley1

imwiley1

I have used a wax type firestarter as well, pushed down into the cuts from the top. Enjoy yout camping trip!

buZZsaw BRAD, Chaz, Hellcat and 3 others like this.
  18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

19. jo191145

jo191145

Sooooo, how did it burn? Pics?

I’m interested in the ones that bore a hole like a rocket stove. A lot more work though but should burn better.
    Considered a small carving bar for the little 250 and plunge cutting into the butts. Sounds dangerous tho. Maybe one at a time off the log would be easier or finding a way to strap them down good?

I have quite a few pines of appropriate size that need to come down and campers driving by every day. I could be rich, rich, rich!!! LOL

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well, ignition was a bust. I had no lighter fluid or wax starters so first morning after cooking bacon i poured the grease into the kerfs. The top end grain soaked it up nicely too. We got back late that afternoon from canoeing and i gently stuffed intact pine needle twigs/needles into the top and lit. Burned and smoldered. Pushed some cardboard pcs thru the kerfs and lit...smolder. Finally started a tiny fire on top with needles and twigs. Didnt wanna catch. Was hungry and got annoyed. Needed fire pit to cook steak, so it got put out. Took it home to try again late Summer.
    My burning instincts told me it wasnt dry enough when i took it and am probably right. Id like to make one out of hardwood...birch or maple.
    BTW, no sidehill gouger sightings thewoodlands, but a raccoon did swipe our six pack of bagels! IMG_0648.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Midwinter, tamarack, Lone_Gun and 5 others like this.