In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Id pls

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by coal reaper, May 15, 2014.

  1. coal reaper

    coal reaper

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,138
    Likes Received:
    2,969
    Location:
    Nj
    Interesting scent i cant quite place
     

    Attached Files:

  2. coal reaper

    coal reaper

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,138
    Likes Received:
    2,969
    Location:
    Nj
    I wanna say sassafras but the leaf dont look right unless thats what they are early season before fully grown
     
  3. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Sass is what I say also.
     
  4. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    Wood looks Sassy, but that leaf...hmmm. The small branches should be greenish if Sass.
     
  5. coal reaper

    coal reaper

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,138
    Likes Received:
    2,969
    Location:
    Nj
    Yeah greenish. And that smell is kinda citrusy. First time i have come accross this flavor tree in my woods.
     
  6. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    Sassafras will have multiple shapes of leaves on the same branch. Orange bark is a dead ringer for sassafra.
     
    coal reaper likes this.
  7. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    :rofl: :lol: I just now saw the text in your original post. Yep, the scent says it all...nothing quite like it. Except for Hall's Mentho-Lyptus. :)
     
    coal reaper likes this.
  8. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Lukem, is exactly right. 3 distinctive different leaves. I think its probably Sassafras also.


    Sasafrass leaves.png
     
    coal reaper likes this.
  9. coal reaper

    coal reaper

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,138
    Likes Received:
    2,969
    Location:
    Nj
    Thanks guys. I think i have burned some. Pops a bit right? Will probably use it for campfire wood as i use only dense woods for my boiler.
     
  10. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    Lots of sparks. Uh huh.
     
  11. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    Sure does pop. I figure it will stir up a lot of ash dust and clog my cat so I don't burn it. I have been using dead trunks to hold my pallets up off the ground, since it's supposed to be rot-resistant...