In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sycamore Fungus/Anthracnose

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Paul bunion, Jun 3, 2019.

  1. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Every Sycamore tree around here has dropped almost of its leaves (or never leafed to begin with and I just began to notice it). It looks to me like it is this The Emperor has No Clothes Supposedly they will leaf back out in the summer.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,750
    Likes Received:
    214,916
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Ive noticed that on sycamores around here as well Paul bunion Great info, thank you. If any get cut im NOT taking the wood. I tried to split a round a few years back and learned the hard way.
     
  3. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
  4. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,626
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Been much the same here in Michigan. Fingers crossed they will leaf out.
     
  5. MrWhoopee

    MrWhoopee

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    3,082
    Location:
    Shingletown, CA
    It affects the Modesto ash back home. Really ugly. They do leaf out again.
     
  6. mr.finn

    mr.finn

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2014
    Messages:
    618
    Likes Received:
    2,703
    Location:
    Mass
    Happening on every one I see around here. Wet spring contributes to spreading the fungus also
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,750
    Likes Received:
    214,916
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Ive been meaning to take a pic of the bare one by the road at the end of our driveway. It was just as bare. Snapped this yesterday and it is growing new leaves. Has yours started to regrow leaves Paul bunion ? IMG_0559.JPG
     
  8. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Some anthracnose thrives in acidic conditions ( my ground cherry tomatoes are covered in a white powder after all this rain and cool-ish weather ) . It would be interesting if sycamores are more sensitive to our industrial acid rain here in the eastern U.S. as dogwoods are considered to be.
     
  9. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Yes, I noticed they were growing new leaves this weekend. They don’t look as full but that is expected for a 2nd set of leaves.
     
    buZZsaw BRAD and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,486
    Likes Received:
    188,766
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    buZZsaw BRAD [ I tried to split a round a few years back and learned the hard way.[/QUOTE
    It's fun to beat your brains out on sycamore....we cut 13 trees, mix of sweet gum and sycamore, years ago on a paying job. Only equipment we had was 25 ton splitter, 4 wheeler to pull splitter, a Jeep to pull trees away from house and a Ranger to haul it on. Needless to say, the gum split better. I won't pick up sycamore either.
     
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,750
    Likes Received:
    214,916
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I tried to split a piece of sycamore once. Few years back Asplundh was cutting trees back from wires around here. My GF's mother has a long driveway and they felled several trees along it including a sycamore. She wanted to give some to a neighbor. I suggested the sycamore. I got the red oak and beech. I knew it was low btu and tough to split. He had left behind the skinnies and bigger round. It was maybe 6" round. I already knew it was "worse than elm" to handsplit. That one log comfirmed this. The few skinny logs i took as well were feather light when dried. It was a good sized tree as well, maybe 24" DBH from what i remember.
     
    T.Jeff Veal likes this.