In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Even though I hate to cut in the summer

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Locust Post, Jun 21, 2019.

  1. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Got a call early from one of my farmers where I cut. Tree came over onto the fence and 20 feet into the corn field that needs sprayed. He says "it would be an easy one" can you get it ? I know the way back to it would be a mud bog as much rain as we have had. But I will fill the saw and either walk back or take his gator. He knows I don't cut in the summer but he can't tear the corn field up pushing it out of the way. I will just buck it and stack the rounds for a fall pick-up . Hope it is something worthwhile. Pictures one evening next week.
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,780
    Likes Received:
    215,147
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Good luck Locust Post, be safe and hope the mud factor isnt too bad. I hate cutting in the heat myself, but free wood is free wood and you have to keep your connection happy. Looking forward to seeing the pics!
    Can you convert Black Betty to 4WD? Heard it on the radio the other day and thought of your PU of course!
     
  3. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Both of my trucks are 4WD. I have not got back to pulling my hair out much on Black Betty.
     
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good luck on getting that wood and it is great you can stack it up until after the corn is off.

    Around here, there is still lots of corn seed in the bag rather than in the ground.
     
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,439
    Location:
    Ct
    I can’t do much of anything in the heat anymore. Was just out bucking some logs this morning. Lasted about an hour and had to take the atv for a ride down the road to cool off. I was soaking wet and ready to pass out. damm.
     
  6. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    20190626_171343.jpg 20190626_171352.jpg 20190626_175750.jpg well I made it out at 90 degrees but at least we had a breeze. Once I found out it was sugar maple I went ahead and hauled it home :D
     
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  8. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,493
    Likes Received:
    113,827
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Dont blame you one bit... Nice Job there Sir... :handshake:
     
  9. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,743
    Likes Received:
    61,993
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Certainly no fan of 90° temps
    :doh:

    But sugar maple
    :thumbs:
     
  10. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Probably a good face cord. Farmer said I found another one down, I had to remind him, unless it is inturupting the farming or you can't push it out of the way......NO !!!. I am now going to be doing a few evenings or mornings cutting for a widow from church. I had taken quite a bit off and on to her and her husband as he was having heart trouble. It got the best of him a few weeks back at 72 he could not sit around anymore and went to brush hog, dropped dead that same day.
     
    Chaz, jo191145, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.
  11. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Didn't want to like that, but yet... I'm sure his wife misses him.
     
    Locust Post, Chaz, jo191145 and 3 others like this.
  12. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass

    I can't either. One test I use for being overheated is to read something whenever I take a break. If I can't make sense of it, it is time to take a much longer break.
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    That is a sad tale for sure. Good on you for helping the widow.
     
  14. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,796
    Likes Received:
    27,809
    Location:
    western WA
    Like that you have been helping out! Very sorry about the gentleman's passing! Got to give him credit ,though, he died facing forward and living life!
     
  15. bert the turtle

    bert the turtle

    Joined:
    May 30, 2014
    Messages:
    790
    Likes Received:
    4,224
    Working in the heat sucks any way you slice it. But with a full time job, I’ve got to do it when I have daylight and that pretty much means summer.
    I try to get rounds into the barn where there is light and at least split in the winter but as often as not, the splitting gets done in the summer as well. There’s only so much room for rounds.
     
  16. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Agreed!:handshake:
    I start to melt at 74* :faint:
     
  17. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,743
    Likes Received:
    61,993
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    X2 ^^^

    :dennis: