In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

372xp smoking

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by jo191145, Jun 9, 2019.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Took out the 372 yesterday. Saw doesn’t get much use. Was running better than it ever has. Running strong and throwing hardwood chips like crazy.
    When I shut it off I noticed smoke coming out of the recoil case vents. It smoked slightly for maybe 4 minutes or so.
    Haven’t taken it apart,,,,,,ever. It’s a pawnshop purchase and all I’ve really done to it was air cleaner, plug and carb adjustment.
    Just wondering what may be in there that’s smoking. Any common issues with this model?
    Figured I’d ask before I go looking so I have an idea what I’m looking for. I’m sure it could use a cleaning in there.
     
  2. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    What did it smell like? Electrical, melting plastic, burnt metal?

    How does it pull over post smoke?

    One way to find out, pull it apart and look. Post pics.
    And good luck!
     
  3. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Hopefully just dust n gunk smoldering a bit.

    Hope it's nothing serious
     
  4. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Ok gotta admit, good question.
    Also got admit. Didnt think to take a whiff. Should have, it’s a common tactic.
    Pulls over fine. I’ll have to pull it apart. Hope the recoil doesn’t go flying. I’ve always hated messing with recoils.
     
    Screwloose, amateur cutter and Chaz like this.
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Started right up. Ran good. Time to take it apart.
    Definitely a tad on the dirty side in there.
    First thing I found was the blue ignition wire was totally loose inside the connection. Came right out even though the connector had been fully crimped. Guess the wire was not inserted deep enough to get crimped. Zero sign of arc melt on the parts.

    Not knowing any better but knowing worse ;) I used a full can of starting fluid to blow it all out of there. It’s oil saturated dust so just air wouldn’t accomplish much.
    Best guess right now is years of overfilling the bar oil reservoir and never cleaning.
    It’s running and I’ll keep an eye on it.

    How big a job is it to pull off that magneto wheel or whatever it’s called? Need a puller or does it pop right off?

    F4E28B8C-1355-463B-902C-198CF58DDD85.jpeg 3615D5CC-5F13-4C68-99D4-F03F90413E85.jpeg
     
  6. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Magneto is an easy replaceable part, but I'd check existing gap between the magneto and the flywheel so you can gap the new one properly.

    Can the wire be reconnected securely?
     
  7. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    I don’t have 372 so can’t tell you for sure about it.
    Most of what I have are a fixed key on the shaft so putting the flywheel back on should not be a big deal as far as timing goes. It should be no deal.

    Pulling the flywheel isn’t always easy. I have a couple pullers that aren’t machine specific so it takes a little imagination. But that’s what I use. I think only once on a 338xpt did I not have to use a puller.

    Pulling the coil is very easy and putting is too. Typical gaps are 012 to 015 or so. I use a business card between the coil and the magnet on the flywheel to set the gap and then tighten to coil back down.

    Hard to tell in the first picture. Was there a plastic shroud? That is the piece that routes the wires in channels or clip ears.
     
  8. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Wires all reconnected. Had some of those connectors handy so that was a breeze.
    Never thought about checking the gap. Doh.
    Put it back together and it’s running fine.
    Oh umm yeah there was a plastic shroud not included in pics.
    Thanks for the help folks.
     
    Screwloose, Chaz and M2theB like this.
  9. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    I wouldnt mess with the gap unless you loosen the coil for some reason
     
  10. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Yep, I’m a big proponent of ain’t broke dont fix it.
     
    Screwloose, Chaz and M2theB like this.
  11. Ronaldo

    Ronaldo

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2015
    Messages:
    1,775
    Likes Received:
    11,275
    Location:
    Iowa
    This could be the first time it has been warmed up that much and you'll get some smoke from everything in and around the cylinder from that much build up. Cleaning it all up will help.

    Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
     
  12. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    Funny, I’ve never seen those wire broken until I saw your this morning and then I came across this while stitch a couple 350s together. C5457F08-3347-4D0C-AE20-1B1B66CA8FCD.jpeg B28C0211-4AF3-458D-8E14-0771E75DFB22.jpeg Here’s setting the gap with a business card


    E76AD8A0-8CB5-4331-A572-0B58E99A75D2.jpeg

    Here’s a progress photo. Decided to go with a gasket delete. Letting the permatex set up over night.

     
    WoodPirate, jo191145 and Chaz like this.
  13. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Sorry about the jinx. Easy fix tho.
    You seem quite the saw mechanic M2theB. While I have your attention I have another question on this 372.
    The clutch shoes and,,,,,drum? Are worn erratically. Shoes have raised hills and furrows for lack of a better explanation. Can’t tell at all using it but I know it’s there.
    What are my chances of using the rope and small chisel method too loosen the clutch? I’ll probably never need to take it off again in my lifetime. I can buy or make the tool but I’m the type to lose it long before I ever need it again.

    Gasket delete. That’s bottom jug gasket removal correct? Little more compression, little change on the timing?
    Just for giggles what do you think I’d gain in my 372? Noticeable, slightly noticeable?
    I’d like to mod the muffler on this one too. Did my 550. Could use some heat escape on this one too. Thanks.
     
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    M2theB and Chaz like this.
  14. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    There would be no change on the timing, that's solely dependant on the coil and the magnet on the flywheel.

    Compression would be increased.

    I have no idea on HP increase though.
     
    M2theB likes this.
  15. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    I thought timing on a two stroke was a configuration of the ports. Surely could be wrong.
     
    M2theB likes this.
  16. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    As far as I'm aware, the coil will only be active when the magnet on the flywheel crosses the field. There's likely a capacitor involved to store energy and then discharge at a high voltage for spark.

    You wouldn't be modifying that portion of the system.
     
    jo191145 likes this.
  17. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    huskihl what say you on the modification side of things?

    I'm sure he can give better information than I.
    :thumbs:
     
    huskihl likes this.
  18. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    Timing. Chaz is right on the firing. Coil to magnet on the fly wheel doesn’t change so when the spark happens doesn’t change. What does change is the intake and exhaust timing. In my case, day light is lowered by about 014 on the intake and exhaust by eliminating the gasket. But that’s about the extent of my modification experience. I focus more on resurrection of saws. I have the 357 and 359 that are probably crying for a muffler mod but I haven’t done it.

    I have a nice thick shoe lace from a hiking shoe that I keep in the tool chest to stuff the jug when pulling a clutch. And I’ll spin it with a screwdribbler and hammer if it doesn’t have a nut. Righty loosy!

    Keep us posted on the smoking issue.
     
    Chaz and jo191145 like this.
  19. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    I was reading along and y'all were on it I think.
    As far as the base gasket delete, I believe there's room on a 372. Don't know if you'd notice the difference or not. A muffler mod and slight timing advance will probably yield more.
     
    M2theB, jo191145 and Chaz like this.
  20. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    How would you do a timing advance?

    Enquiring minds would like to know.
    :sherlock:
     
    huskihl, M2theB and jo191145 like this.