I have a Weber Genesis gas grill that I’m absolutely in love with. It grills like nobody’s business, but I’ve gotten pretty good at smoking stuff on it too. I remove the grate on the left side and the burner cover to expose the burner tube. I have a small stainless steel mixing bowl the I “borrowed” from the wife and drilled about 10 3/16” holes about 1” up from the bottom around the sides. I fill the bowl with my wood of choice which is usually apple branches that I cut into cookies about ½” thick or some hickory bark, or both, and then tightly cover with foil. I poke about 4 small holes in the foil, then set the bowl directly on the burner tube. After setting the bowl on the burner I put the grate back over the top, cover the grate with foil and hold it down with a couple rocks I pick out of the driveway (once you turn the heat on it will want to move). I put the meat of choice on the top rack opposite the smoke bowl and turn the burner on low. Unless it is wicked hot outside I can hold 175* pretty easy, and the bowl will smoke for 4-5 hours pretty easily, which is usually about the smoke meat will “take”. I’ve done everything from cold smoking bacon to a whole pork shoulder on the grill this way and it has turned out great every time. Much easier to regulate temperature than a charcoal smoker. Good way to get your foot in the door and start smoking stuff without buying a smoker. Here's a chicken I did over the weekend.
I had one of the cast iron boxes with vented lid on my old charbroil(cast iron burner type) years back - worked like a champ to add smoke flavor.
I like the look of that bird. And the part that says you "borrowed" your wifes bowl, haha. and then you drilled holes in it