In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Road blocked

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Erik B, May 25, 2019.

  1. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    We had some nasty wind yesterday and when I walked out to the woods, this is what I found blocking one of my trails. A large branch from a dead elm came down, lodged between a couple of smaller trees and hung up in some other trees. My "heavy equipment" is listed in my sig line. I came down with a cold that has settled in the back of my throat along with a sore throat so work on that branch will have to wait until later. It should be fun getting that down. The branch is around 9-10 inches in diameter where it broke from the tree and it is solid.
    DSC03498.JPG DSC03493.JPG DSC03494.JPG DSC03495.JPG DSC03496.JPG DSC03497.JPG
     
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    That will make for some interesting cutting.
     
  3. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,841
    Likes Received:
    114,721
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Unless you can pull it free, then it looks like a see-saw cut, moving from one side then the other
     
  4. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    I have been thinking of pulling it out, I do have a Maasdam puller that I can use and a couple of snatch blocks
     
  5. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    That is a bit of an understatement:thumbs::rofl: :lol::handshake:
     
  6. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,626
    Location:
    The Mitten
    With the maasdam puller and blocks you should be able to set up a simple z rig and put tremendous pulling force on that branch.
     
  7. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    That is what I was hoping. As it sits now, I can only get at one end of it. I don't like the idea of cutting on the part that is 20 feet in the air and hung up on other trees. The branch is tightly squeezed between the two small trees.
     
  8. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    Barcroftb Can you explain what you mean by a 'z' rig? Thanks
     
  9. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,841
    Likes Received:
    114,721
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    You cut the low end, with the understanding that once weight is removed, that end will lift up. Move to the other side and cut some from it. Back and forth until it's short enough to remove from the other trees.
     
  10. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,626
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Sorry sometimes I don't do to well translating. It's also called a 3:1:



    Incidentally you can do almost the same thing with a truckers hitch:



    And in action:

     
  11. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,626
    Location:
    The Mitten
    If the top is hung up in other trees the butt shouldn't move much if you cut it off. I'd removed as much weight as possible then give it a pull using one of the mechanical advantage systems I showed. Repeat until tree is freed up and top is on the ground. Use sea saw method mentioned. If the top isn't hung up proceed with sea saw method like MikeInMa indicated. Care should be used the butt could move fast if the fulcrum has been misjudged.
     
  12. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    As long as it wasn't over my head at the first set of trees it is hung up in, I'd cut half way thru from under at the left arrow, from above half way thru at the middle arrow at which point with a little luck the top half of the branch is on the ground without much fanfare and then lift the log at the arrow on the right or just drag it out.
    211626-44e3a1580a653fbd45e30891fe21f766.jpg
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chaz and Lone_Gun like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,886
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    If the top is well hung up, can you safely fell one of the smaller trees its wedged between Erik B? Can you undercut the limb on the high side of where its wedged and let hung up end drop to the ground? Thus loosening the lower end. You can then pull or continue undercutting rest of limb til free?
     
  14. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    billb3 I believe the spot where you recommend the first cut would be at head level or close to it. I would have to go out and take another look. All of this work will be done on slightly sloped ground, just to make things interesting. First I've got to get well. I will be going into urgent care later this morning. Thanks for your suggestions.:handshake:
     
  15. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,626
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Backwoods Savage and Chaz like this.
  16. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    Thanks
     
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,886
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Yes please get well first! Being sick is never a pleasant experience, especially this time of year!
     
    Backwoods Savage, Barcroftb and Chaz like this.
  18. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    You are right buZZsaw BRAD, today will be nice followed by 2 days of heavy rain. It is hard enough to find nice days to work outside without having to worry about being sick. At least I have the next 2 years of wood already in the shed.
     
  19. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Hope you get feeling better soon Erik B
     
  20. Chazsbetterhalf

    Chazsbetterhalf

    Joined:
    May 18, 2018
    Messages:
    6,010
    Likes Received:
    39,593
    Location:
    Ny
    X2
     
    Erik B and Barcroftb like this.