In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Going postal

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by cnice_37, May 10, 2014.

  1. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Sorry for the lame title, couldn't come up with something wittier.

    My first project using my router, took wayyyy too long, a little sloppy, but nothing some paint can't hide.

    With the help of my dad and 4 year old daughter, replaced the old dilapidated box and post for not much more coin than the cheapest box store solution.

    [​IMG]
     
    Loon, Chvymn99, Woodwidow and 9 others like this.
  2. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    That looks good, I have a mailbox I made a while ago that I still havent put out. I need to make a post for it.
     
    cnice_37 likes this.
  3. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    We should mill a post for you and carve it at the G2g. :rofl: :lol:
     
    cnice_37 and papadave like this.
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks great!
     
    cnice_37 likes this.
  5. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Looking good!
    I remember having a nice mailbox and post like that until the teenagers came by one day and the kid riding shotgun in the car totally obliterated my mail box with a baseball bat. The next mailbox had a solid filled 4" lolly column in front of it. :)
     
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Back doing signs, I ended up with a 24" long section of an 8"x12" steel rectangular tube, 1/4" wall. I turned it into a mailbox and welded it to a 4" steel post. When the boys played mailbox baseball in our neighborhood, ours was the only one still standing many times. Would have loved to be there when they clanked a bat into it at 40 mph… :rofl: :lol:
     
  7. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Very professional job your team did. :) Looks like you used the router for the center of 4 x 6 and to round over the edges of everything. Your trim along the top came out nice too.

    Cemented it in and everything. How did your 4 year old like the project?
     
    Chvymn99, cnice_37 and Stinny like this.
  8. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    We even had a brain challenged crew of boys that liked to run them over with their beaters. Until one day they tried to run the wrong one over. It wasn't my mailbox but this guy was ready for them. He even made the post and box look like it was about to fall down, very creative.
     
    Chvymn99, Stinny and clemsonfor like this.
  9. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    It's a 6x6 post with a 4x6 horizontal and knee brace. I bought the cap, I had only 4 routing bits to choose from so that was the fast and cheap approach!

    The kid loves to paint, not so much watching me run the power tools. I think at 4 she has painted more than the average American in a lifetime. Probably stacked more wood as well. I'm trying.
     
    Canadian border VT and Chvymn99 like this.