In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rack 'em up!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woody Stover, May 10, 2014.

  1. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    A couple weeks ago, I got out behind my two SILs houses (next door) before the brush came in heavy, and swept house on a bunch of the smaller dead/down stuff. It turned out to be pretty productive even though it was a bit of messing around, threading a quad trail and bucking small wood. About two cords total, I think. Racks hold 2/3 cord. Unfortunately, the Fiskars was missing after this foray. I looked for it, but it might only be see by furry woodland creatures from now on... :confused:
    This stuff is dry enough already! Back row here had some wood left from last year so only a quad trailer load added there. Front row all from this grab, mainly Dogwood and Mulberry.
    [​IMG] Dry, ready to be split and stacked in shed.
    [​IMG] Here's some White Ash and Dogwood that will be split and dried for 2015.
    [​IMG] One of my other SILs is also putting up a shed this year. There's about a cord of Silver Maple in the background, split and stacked a couple months ago, now tossed aside in a heap to be re-stacked in the shed later. <>
    [​IMG] More from the grab that's ready to be split and put in her shed. Cherry, Mulberry, Dogwood...and a little Redbud. [ Darker wood from previous scrounge, far left.] Biggest Cherries are 14", sapwood all gone. ==c
    [​IMG]
    The cool-looking Redbud, which you can see in the previous stack pic on the bottom, right of the Cherry.
    [​IMG] Some stuff that was cleared for the shed, tossed aside. I said "Hey, that's firewood!" >> WIll sit and dry a couple years...
    [​IMG]
     
  2. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Nice work W.S., like you said it looks ready to burn.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  3. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Almost 2 cord of small rounds is a bunch of hunting and gathering. Looks great! Especially that it's mostly dry already.
    Dogwood and Mulberry is top shelf stuff. :thumbs:

    I need to focus on the small rounds also. You just lit a fire under my arse.

    Never saw redbud before?
     
    jetjr and Stinny like this.
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Yeah, some of that wood looked very ready to burn. I liked how you filled up the 4 wheeler, nice pic
     
  5. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Way to go, good stuff
    Keep rackin and stackin
     
  6. badbob

    badbob

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2014
    Messages:
    2,482
    Likes Received:
    9,947
    Location:
    bozeman pass,park county,MT 6500'
    Looks good.Glad I'm not the only one that beats up my atv!
     
  7. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Lookin real good Woody.....some of that for Buck chow ?
     
  8. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    Anything that was bone-dry went in the shed; The stuff in the second pic seemed a little heavier, or were too big for a lady to handle, so will be split and stacked in the back row to give it a little extra drying time. Not sure about how fast wet Dogwood would dry but I guess it would take a while since it's dense wood. The Redbuds don't get very big, only 6" or so diameter. I'll try to get a good pic of the bark...
    The Buck chow is at my place...two- and three-year Red and White Oak, Pignut and BL, mainly. :smoke:
     
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
    Stinny likes this.
  9. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Way to go!
     
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good luck on finding that Fiskars. I'm still looking for a chain I lost a year ago. My wife did find some binoculars yesterday. They belonged to our neighbor so we returned them already.
     
    Loon and Woody Stover like this.
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Lost my X7 last spring, no clue where, bought a new one :mad:
     
  12. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    The bungee system I use to secure my stuff on the quad has its shortcomings when I get into the heavy brush. It's an X-27. I'm wondering weather I should just replace it with a single- or double-bitted ax....same thing, right?
     
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Can't remember , do you have hydraulics ?
    I don't use my X25 much but the X7 hatchet I use a lot.
    It's true my axe will split almost as good as the X25
     
  14. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    See my sig. ;) But I do enjoy hand-splitting the easy stuff. I thought I messed up a muscle between my spine and shoulder blade last year by overdoing it, but it turned out to be due to bad posture at the computer. :confused: Took me a while to figure it out, nitwit that I am, but I'm 'back in the swing' now! :thumbs: I've got an X-7, and a classic Craftsman...betcha it's 40 years old or more. :cool:
    Shoot, the Crapsman decal must have melted off in the rain. :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  15. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    :rofl: :lol: I did look but didn't see it, I see it now, Maybe I need to clean the bifocals off, ah :)
     
  16. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    That dogwood is some of the best wood to burn. We had it when I grew up but even that has been blighted and there are far fewer now.
     
  17. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    Seems like a lot of them along the road have died, but they are still coming up in the woods. Maybe they are like BL, just a high casualty rate?