In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The TERMITEinator!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Timberdog

Timberdog

Chickens would take care of that in about 5 minutes...if you got em.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

funny you say that Timberdog the guy i got the wood from (its his yard) had a chicken coop and pen next to his shed. Tree wrecked it when it came down. Dunno what happened to them

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That’s how they make McNuggets!

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

:stirpot:MMMMMMcnuggets, i just had supper too, dang. Havent had them in a while!

5. savemoney

savemoney

I never have seen them around here either, although I think the are. I try not to use pesticide that have a negative impact on bees. We need all the pollinators we can. Seven is not good around bees, I don't think that spaying that on bark/wood will have an impact on pollinating bees because that isn't where they hang out.

6. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

The nest and the queen are probably still underground somewhere near where the round sat for a couple of months. You eliminated a lot of workers but need to poison the nest/queen. The workers can survive in a round for a few days but cannot live for long without the queen to process food for them.

KaptJaq

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's what they looked like under the bark on some oak and hickory here.
    Subterranean termites. There is another kind that is bigger and will live in hollow trees. I sure don't like those, try to put those pieces in the camp wood pile

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Carpenter ants here.. haven’t seen termites in area I am close to NH mountain man and carpenter ants scare me been in porch BUT house is post and beam

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We were splitting some hickory yesterday, found some of the big termites in it, trees were cut in August. 20240923_115305.jpg
    20240923_115524.jpg
    I found another termiteinator...I call them crazy ants...Argentine black ants.
    I took a small piece of wood with some termites in it, put it close to where the ants were...didn't take long for them to attack...
    This was a BIG soldier termite...zoom in to see it's pincers 20240923_121550.jpg
    He grabbed an ant or two, but they defeated it 20240923_121618.jpg
    Then the ants found some workers 20240923_121722.jpg
    Dinner time... 20240923_121920.jpg
    Early morning and late evening, the ants are really swarming, looking for food. They will search a pile of wood for grubs and termites.

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

[​IMG]

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nature in action...cool stuff. At least you or Ms. Carol weren't on the menu.

Chaz, Cash Larue and yooperdave like this.
  12. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Yuck! I’ve never seen termites like that!

13. billb3

billb3

Those look like regular old termites to me. They are in the ground. I can find termite here in undisturbed ground in the woods by digging down by hand just a couple of inches. They're not in the lawn or garden though. If you go far enough north it is too cold in the Winter for them and they don't survive. If you've seen winged ants flying out of a hole in the ground (or an infested building) in the Spring those are termites and they can fly quite a distance to new hunting grounds.

Dunno if it works for carpenter ants or termites but I tried AMDRO (home depot) on yard ants that get into the house looking for food and it works pretty darned good.

14. jo191145

jo191145

I have a question, looks like a good place to ask.
    I produce a good amount of splitter chaffe/scraps. As of now I push it into low areas of my processing area. Mound it up knowing it will break down. Some of it is rather large and bony not worth picking up for me but a pain to walk on with one bad ankle.
    Was thinking about getting trailer loads of sawdust from a local sawmill and covering it over, smooth it up.
    Am I begging for an ant infestation problem?
    I wonder if the larger mill operations have problems with their piles?

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

IMO no. I wouldn't worry about it.

16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Contact tree services to see if they are looking for a place to dump chips.

17. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Aldo Leopold in "Sand County Almanac" told of splitting an Oak tree and standing the bark up so that the Chickadees that were crowding around could go after the larvae that were on the underside. One of my favorite books!

wildwest, buZZsaw BRAD and MikeInMa like this.
  18. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Are they top-dwellers? The termites we have up north are "subterranean", they need the wood to be touching the ground or very close to it so they can build mud tunnels for them to infest it. Everything involving termites up here will have mud tunnels associated with the infestation.

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

They probably got in the tree from the ground, but that tree had been cut over a month stacked on a pile at our place. No evidence of them on the outside of the log. Logs circled 20240823_124017.jpg

MikeInMa, wildwest and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Of all things we have them here, where they supposedly don't exist. I'd NEVER heard of the them in Colo. I went to get a dressy jacket out of the closet a few years after moving here and it had stuff on the side that faced the wall. OMG there were little holes all over the jamb of the now blocked off door (we put a full bathroom on the other side of the wall). I put a flashlight on it to see and some peeked out of every single tiny hole and tons of them started making a clicking sound. Super Duper Creepy!

Til this day like Colorado, WY does not require termite inspection though they are here. My GGGrandpa built his house near Brighton in 1871 on a wood foundation, it's gone now (1964) but never had termites. Same as his son's house built 1904 (I spent many summers there as a kid). Nor any of my relatives house nor any of the houses I knew in Boulder or Fort Collins or our home in Bellvue. Idk, WWW thinks it's from all the trucks of logs and the ones that drop logs at wood distributing yards. The interstate not too far from our home. Maybe firewood brought in? I don't know since our firewood dries so fast out here, even faster than Colo. Crazy

Granted there is a lake here but we were by a lake in Bellvue too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2024 at 3:44 AM