In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Plans for the New Saw

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Grizzly Adam, Oct 15, 2013.

  1. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Yea try bumping up idle speed the LA screw.
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Came across another tree at the dump, it's at the bottom of the load so I can get pics right now. Compound leaves, trunk looks maple like, top smooth like birch. Trunk seems heavy, top seems really like. Wtf is this?
     
  3. StihlHead

    StihlHead

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    1,289
    Location:
    The wild west
    I would re-tune the saw after you make sure that the muffler screen and air cleaner are unclogged. My 036 PRO idled high after switching it to my synthetic oil and supreme E-0 gas. So I had to turn the idle down yesterday after cutting up some rounds that I had. I also had to re-tune the H screw to bring the high end down a bit to burple at WOT. Better gas and 100% synthetic will boost performance noticeably. Not sure if I posted the photos of that here, its a younger sibling to your 034Super. I also picked up an 034Super for my nephew, and he likes it a lot.
     
  4. StihlHead

    StihlHead

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    1,289
    Location:
    The wild west
    Might be the elusive and highly valued locust!
     
  5. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Certainly not honey locust, it was white.

    We have a station in the area that sells ethanol free 89, but that's as high as they seem to go here. I am looking at ordering in a gallon of stihl oil, do they make a synthetic? I am just going to refill the little bottles I have been getting.
     
  6. StihlHead

    StihlHead

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    1,289
    Location:
    The wild west
    Stihl oil is spendy and not worth it IMO, unless you can get a good price. Though they do have a type that is 100% synthetic. They also have synthetic blends that I would avoid. I use Elf 100% synthetic JASO FC oil. I get it at a motorcycle shop for $11 a liter. Cheaper and better.
     
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I will have to look into that, I have been using the stihl because it was cheaper per gallon than anything else I have found around here.
     
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I am running baileys full sun just cause I ordered there and threw in a point bottle. Yep stihl makes full syn. Think its grey bottle?

    I would use the 89 that's what it texomends. They say u get more power with the low octane just most us can only get E0 91 octane.
     
  9. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Define EO for me, I want to make sure we are on the same page.
     
  10. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Ethanol 0 or zero. Meaning its pure petroleum fuel.
     
  11. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    That's what I thought you meant, but I couldn't come up with words that matched your abbrev.
     
  12. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A couple of times I had a little trouble with the spring that snaps into the detents on the switch popping up on top of the plastic cam it rides on instead of staying in its proper position. That spring is part of the circuit that gets completed (or should be completed) when the switch is in the off position so if the spring pops out of place the electrical switch part of its function doesn't work. I thought I had massaged it into good function, but it sounds like maybe not. Let me know if that's what's going on, and I'll send a replacement spring.
     
  13. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I have a replacement as well. If needed?

    Always willing to help.
     
  14. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I will try to get a look under the hood this weekend, my week is super busy and I am trying to figure out how to get everything split before we fell a cherry tree on Friday.
     
  15. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I am trying to figure how that spring hooks into the saw. I bought one for my. 650 rebuild and can't figure out how it hooks in. Someone post a pic of the thin in place. There is a tiny Al shaft it pivots on then somehow hooks to the lever and then grounds it out but I played with it for 10 mins and could not make sense of it.
     
  16. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are some illustrations on page 53 of the service manual. It's different from the 034, but it looks a lot like the 064 I just rebuilt. The tab for connecting the wire goes towards the cylinder head, pointing up, and the rounded bend in the middle goes under and wraps around the aluminum pin. If that's not enough, I can go out and snap a pic a little later.
     
  17. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I can tell that much from the ipl but I'm lost after that?? Where does the end that faces back toward the operator hook to? Maybe the Carb need to be in to make more sense? I still am waiting on one last piece for may Carb then I can put it all back together.
     
  18. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The end facing the operator doesn't attach to anything; it slides over the detents in the cam, clicking into place in each of the switch positions.
     
  19. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    It just do sent look to me like it will make con tack with the other wire in anyway to kill the circuit. I do have a replacement Chinese handle I put on but it looks like a direct copy?
     
  20. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA