In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cut a little today.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gary_602z, May 4, 2014.

  1. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Beautiful day here today! Just right for cutting a little wood.
    Sharpened the chains and took the quad and trailer over to the farm. Had some smaller tops that had came down over the winter and took down a couple of dead/snaggly cherrys.

    Decided to drop this dead elm and sure enough it got hung up:mad: I have never done that before!:whistle::whistle:
    Hung up.jpg

    Got it loose with the snatch strap and quad. Ended up with about 1/2 cord total.
    wood 050414.jpg

    Here is about 1/4 cord mix of Elm and Cherry. The quad got a work out today, I bought it new 15 months ago and I have 52 miles on it!:(

    Gary
     
    HDRock, Gark, Gasifier and 9 others like this.
  2. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Nice looking wood you ended up with. Look's almost already seasoned it was so dry! I'm getting fanatical about keeping a sharp chain these in the past few years. Makes a big difference! :)
     
    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  3. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    That yolk on the tree top was just dying to hook something. Nice work
     
    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Nice work Gary, what do you have for winching equipment?
     
  5. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Just tugged on it with the quad. I have a winch for the quad but I haven't put it on yet.

    Gary
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    If you get some d-shackles, snatch block , 3/8 inch cable and some tree savers you can do some indirect pulls which will double your pulling power, if you set it up right you'll lift instead of pulling it through the dirt, it also will save the four wheeler from doing all the work.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  7. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,763
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Nice job... Will make for some fine burning later on. :thumbs:
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  8. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Gotta love em stuck in the ground going sideways eh Gary ;) Do it all the time here :whistle: Beauty looking day at your place :)
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  9. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Yea, I couldn't get the quad around to pull it straight back. But I think it actually pulled easier at an angle.
    I refuse to leave a tree in the woods hung up!

    Gary
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. Boog

    Boog

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    1,181
    Likes Received:
    2,600
    Location:
    Where my spirit is free
    Nice work on that one! My woods are so tight and tall that they are constantly hanging up on me too. I normally just chain onto them and yank them down too.
     
  11. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Looks very familiar....this happens a lot to me !
     
  12. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work Gary. Nice trailer.
     
  13. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    +1
    Looks like you'll get more miles on it this year
    In just that pic, I see some other trees that need added to your stack !
    Woods looks pretty tight, might need some thinning too. :)