In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood-Fired Grill Thread

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Grizzly Adam, Apr 21, 2014.

1. colin.p

colin.p

This is a pork tenderloin I did on the OTG (briquettes are sort of wood?) I stuffed the pork with an apple mixture, can't remember what exactly, but it sure was good.

Attached Files:

2. RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh

That looks simply amazing! Any slight idea what was in the apple mixture besides just apples?

papadave likes this.
  3. colin.p

colin.p

I butterflied 2 pork tenderloins. I stuffed them with an apple, 2 slices of bread, lots of garlic and my staple of sriracha (rooster) sauce, probably s couple other things but it was done on the fly. I then wrapped a whole pound of bacon around it. I made a two zone fire in the OTG behind two fire bricks. The tenderloin went on the unlit side at around 300 degrees for a couple hours until the quick read thermometer read 165 or so. Oh yeah, I also brushed on some "PC Smokin' Habanero" (SP?) bbq sauce during the last 1/2 hour or so but that I probably could have skipped.

papadave and gbreda like this.
  4. andybaker

andybaker

So this is a rocket mass heater. I've done some reading on these things. Very interesting. Did I read you also have an indoor one? This one, you burn in that opening, the gases/smoke go through the barrel, and the exhaust exits out igloo looking thing at the other end? I thought that the cooking was done on top of the barrel. What's this on top of the barrel here and how does it work? Sorry for all the questions, this looks fascinating.

RockyMtnHigh likes this.
  5. RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh

I smell what you are stepping in. Schiracha (omg spelling?) is GOOD stuff. I love the chili garlic mixture. I'm going to have to try this recipe soon. Thanks for expanding on the recipe a bit. I always wing it too. I don't think I've ever cooked the same thing the same even twice even if I've cooked it 1000 times.

6. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Got old smokey going again with brats. They are labeled as Apple brown sugar maple brats, so I am burning maple and apple under them. Waiting for the kabobs.

RockyMtnHigh likes this.
  7. thistle

thistle

From Hy Vee right? Tried 5 of them 2 weeks ago,really like them.My favs are their green onion ones & the dutch apple ones that Fareway sometimes has.But the beer ones & plain are no slouch either.....

8. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Yep, hyvee. Just about to pull them off.

9. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

10. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Really looks fabulous!!! You gave me some ideas, thanks! :thumbs:

11. NW Walker

NW Walker

Sorry for the delay Andy, spending my time outdoors as much as possible lately. Anyway, yep, I heat my home with one too. You are looking at two systems in this shot, so the little oven is on top of one firebox and barrel, and the Weber is on top of another. They both exhaust after warming a long bench run so I can have heated seating. My smoker set up is a Weber, with a pizza stone diffuser inside. There's a 4" hole in the bottom of the Weber and a 4" hole in top of the barrel with an adjustable baffle. Since the combustion core burns so cleanly you can use wood as fuel and it cooks like charcoal, so I use little sticks of apple wood between the barrel and the Weber for the smoke. Here's a video where I describe it as I was figuring it out, I've refined it a bit since, but this is the working concept...

12. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I've got a meat loaf and some asparagus going right meow. Beene will have the label removed from the can and go on in a short while.

13. andybaker

andybaker

So let me get this right. Your using an old grill and have converted it into a wood burning grill? How's it working and what are the tricks and times for something common? What a great idea!

14. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

The only real trick was drilling a couple extra holes at the bottom for air and adding the adjustable vent off of an old, broken webber. FYI, webbers work great with wood right out of the box!

thistle likes this.
  15. andybaker

andybaker

Lol, my Weber Grill was about $900 out of the box. I think I'll wait til I can't fix it anymore on that one. I do see broken down grills being tossed all the time and wouldn't mind experimenting. What's the adjustable vent?

gbreda likes this.
  16. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

The standard ones you find on charcoal grills.

17. basod

basod

If you're going to go this route get an old grill with the cast aluminum base tub - all the other ones are being thrown away because the bottom of the grill is probably rusted out.
    It's funny how they build a grill to look all nice with a stainless lid and then all the components that see heat are made of thin sheet metal

andybaker likes this.
  18. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Mushroom and potato kabobs, chuck eyes on the grate, and ribeyes directly on the coals.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Woodwidow, basod and gbreda like this.
  19. cory@owen

cory@owen

That is full of awesome!!:thumbs:

20. basod

basod

Never thought of throwing steaks straight on the coals Grizz
    They get really crispy that way I assumes?