In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tractor 3pt Winch

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Spencer, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Slocum

Slocum

I don’t have the time. Firewood takes my free time and family and work gets the rest. I’ll give you dimensions and help you in that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Where are the pictures? Bet it looks fine on the Deere. I think I went with Norse because the pricing. The 35M looked much nicer, and will shine on at R.

:dex:

3. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

That would be appreciated!

4. fuelrod

fuelrod

HudSon has just the slip hooks (and other accessories) on their website. https://www.hud-son.com/accessories/
    You can source your chain locally. I carry 6' and 3' for the smaller stuff. G70 chain is all you need with our little tractors and that's easy to find locally. (shipping)

5. Dancan

Dancan

The problem I have with G70 chain up here is the physical size of the links , the're too big to fit through the slides of both my winches (Igland 4001 and Norse 180) so I use grade 100 for my choker chains .

6. Dancan

Dancan

I forgot to say why G100 .
    It was easier for me to pick up locally than G80 .
    The physical OD size of the links are smaller than G70 .
    That link size is also important because I've had the small end of the mouth jamb in a link of G70 , it won't fit in the higher grade because of the tighter links .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Slocum

Slocum

Winched my first log a few minutes ago. If you could only see my happy dance!! [​IMG]

8. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

The first log is bitter sweet. Feels good, but scratches and marks it up so quick. Enjoy:dex:

9. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Nice log by the way!!!:dex:

10. Spencer

Spencer

Wow thats a good sized log! Oak? Did it seem like it just pulled it right in? What size kubota is that?

11. Slocum

Slocum

That log was hackberry, it had no problem pulling it. It actually drug my tractor on the frozen ground until winch blade got against a small tree. It’s a 33hp

12. Spencer

Spencer

Oh wow, just read your other post and see what you mean by plenty of power with it pulling your tractor around like that. What dia was that log and length? How much does your tractor weigh?

Sorry i ask so many questions, just really curious. Thanks Slocum.

13. Slocum

Slocum

It’s no prob, I understand. Log was 24” By aprox 12’. It pulled hard at first when it pulled my tractor because it was froze to ground. My tractor weighs 2700 not counting winch.

14. Spencer

Spencer

Thats about the same weight as my tractor without the loader. Im guessing the loader weighs 500-600 lbs or so i would guess.

Thats a super heavy log! If i get the chance to pull some logs out this weekend i will post some pics up too.

Dancan, Slocum, Screwloose and 4 others like this.
  15. Spencer

Spencer

Ok so got to use the 35M today. Here is what i think so far:

1. Pulling power is more than sufficient for my tractor. A couple of times it pulled hard enough that it pulled the tractor backwards and piled up dirt on the blade(JD 3039R for reference). I pulled a big sugar maple log with it up a hill, and by hill i mean like a 35 degree angle hill, you almost have to use all fours to go up or down.
    2. Easy to use. No real gimmicks with this machine. Pull one handle, it goes. Pull the other, it releases. Even a idiot like me had it figured out.
    3. 1500 RPM seems plenty fast enough to pull the logs in. At no point did I feel like i needed to speed it up.
    4. It has alittle less ground clearance than a "typical" implement. The blade rubbed on the ground driving in-out of my creek.
    5. Quick hitch wont work, dont even bother trying it. I wasted prolly a half hour thinking i could mess with it and get it to work before giving up. The pockets that the lift arms go into is too deep for a quick hitch.
    6. The choker chains they threw in the deal are nice. Rod on one end to get under logs. Harder you pull the harder they bite in.
    7. The thing just seems to be built like a tank. Didnt look like it flexed at all while pulling.

Pictures are of what i think was a box elder that i cut down. The main log was on the other side of the ravine that is probably 40-50 ft deep and i pulled it from one side to the other (so down hill and then back up). This tree was standing dead and i never bothered to cut it before now as i had no way to get it out of there (and there was no way it was going to drop up hill). Same with the sugar maple i cut down. I think this is one of those tools that i will look back and say "how did i ever do that before i got this winch?" Edit: also the lower pully seemed like it had a much greater pulling force. Not sure if it was just my imagination or what. box elder.png ravine.png up to 35M.png up to 35M2.png up to 35M3.png

Chvymn99, Boogeyman, Dancan and 8 others like this.
  16. JCMC

JCMC

Looks like a good day in the woods. Nice job. "how did I ever do that before i got this winch?" :yes:

Slocum, Screwloose, Hammy and 3 others like this.
  17. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Just wait Spencer , after you've skidded 30 or 40 logs out of tough spots, across water, mud, uphill, downhill, & sideways, you'll wonder why you waited so long to buy it. Great looking setup!

Chvymn99, Slocum, Screwloose and 5 others like this.
  18. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

You will not regret it. I used this for insurance when cutting trees near my house also. I have considered looking for a small skidder though! Enjoy!

19. Spencer

Spencer

Yeah i bet your right. Thanks!

Slocum, Screwloose and amateur cutter like this.
  20. Slocum

Slocum

Very nice Spencer. That winch changes everything when it comes to getting wood out. Be prepared, the logs are going to pile up fast! What kind of quick hitch do you have? I made a new top hook for mine so it would hook up. I have a speeco quick hitch.

Hammy, amateur cutter and Screwloose like this.