In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any experience with these?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Gasifier, Oct 20, 2013.

  1. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Any opinion which one might be better? Getting ready to pick up 1/2 dozen bags to try them out tomorrow.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Timber heat are 4.59/bag
    Green team are 5.49/bag
     
  3. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Green Team....good heat but an ashy pellet for me
    Timberheats (PA Pellet) good heat and a little less ash than the GT's

    Your mileage may vary! ;) I'd go with the Timber's for a dollar less.....
     
  4. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Your 2 minutes late! LOFL store closed at 8 and I bought 6 bags of the other ones:) I'll buy 6 of several kind and see how they do. Before I buy a couple ton.
     
  5. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    damm!!!!!! lol Yes, you gotta try them all...really GT's are a good pellet just a bit too ashy for me....at least they were last year but I believe typically they tend to be on the ashy side. And DEFINITELY try all you can!
     
  6. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I just bought 5 bags of Greene golds myself (same pellet). Pretty good pellet for the money.

    May buy a ton of them? May just buy another ton of Somersets.

    Can't comment on the other brand.
     
  7. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Timber Heat were real good for me one of the lowest ash by vol pellets I ever burned 1 bag = 4oz of ash great heat too I would definitely buy again
     
    eatonpcat likes this.
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Good to know will711. I will try them as well. I am also going to buy some of the Curran blends because they are sold at a building supply place 2.5 miles from the house. 6 bags of each of those will have me trying 3 different kind. Then I will see what the best price is on the ones I like best and buy a ton or two.
     
    DexterDay and will711 like this.
  9. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Good plan my friend :)
     
  10. defiant

    defiant

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    209
    Likes Received:
    579
    Location:
    Old Lyme, CT
    Just picked up a ton of the Platnum's $274 (Lowes) and a ton of Green Supreme $219(Home Depot) I have a Harman and will let you know about the ash.
     
    will711 likes this.
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Wow. That is a big difference in price. The Curran blends are selling for $219 now at this Building Supply, that is cheaper than buying them at the mill where they produce them. ?????
     
  12. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Have you guys see any times where it is hard to get pellets? In recent years? Once I find one or two I like should I slowly build a nice size supply?
     
    will711 likes this.
  13. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,318
    Likes Received:
    55,534
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    I haven't seen a shortage since 2001/02 season. I had to burn horse bedding to get by. Now I load up in the spring and or buy as I go along when I see a good deal. These days they are pretty much everywhere.

    A full stash is priceless though. ;)
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  14. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Not recently no , but if you depend on the Big Box for your pellets ,be aware that they change over the store in Feb/March and pellets may not be available found that out my 1st year rookie mistake :( If you have the room and the $$ build a stash like the Pigs do:)

    I can store about 1 ton + in my garage . What I do is build my stash in the fall ,then as I burn down 15 bags or so get more until I know that come Feb/ March I have enough to carry me till May I end up with about 10-15 bags to start next season . I need the space in the garage when the warm weather arrives 30 packs take up more space than you think ;). This works for me , but I wish I had room for an extra ton or 2 ;)
     
  15. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    2008 there was a small shortage (price hike also) when I bought my Quad. With the slight recession, people were looking for cheaper ways to heat.

    I have tried to keep at least 2 yrs ahead just because of the prices then ($245 was the cheapest I found then). 3 yrs ago I bought 9 ton at the end of season. If they were under $200 a ton? I had to have them. That was when I burned 4 to 4.5 ton a year. Only burn about 2+ now.

    A little buffer is nice though. Just in case there is a shortage (end of year as Will said above), or if a Great pellet comes along that normally isnt around you.

    If Turmans or Hamers ever get close enough? I'm loading up :)
     
    will711 likes this.
  16. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    I agree.
     
  17. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    whats the going price on a ton of busch light?
     
    gbreda and will711 like this.
  18. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Can't haul a ton home on yota so i go the 30 pack route $16.95 out the door:cool:
     
    smoke show likes this.
  19. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,305
    Likes Received:
    58,688
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    By the thirty pack it would run you around $1450.00 :D
     
    will711 and smoke show like this.
  20. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Dex what are they getting for the Greene Golds? Around here, Lowes is charging almost the same money as what I can get much better pellets. Curious as to the price increase on Greene Team product that started 2 years ago. Is it Lowes making more on them or did Greene Team go up? IMHO, they are not worth more than 229/ton max. Of course that all depends on what you have available.