Lately I've been in hoarding withdrawal, seems like nothing was up on craigslist in forever. Friday that changed with a nice truckload of red oak. Saturday, one full load of ash, and today two full loads of ash which came from a neighbor of the guy I picked up from Saturday who just randomly happened to have a bunch of ash she wanted out of their ASAP! both people kind enough to haul to the road too. Funny how scrounging can turn on a dime like that. I've recouped all I've burned this season and then some just this weekend. Nice to be outside too in these mid 30s temps.
Good luck comes in threes I guess. Looks like that load was nicely cut to size, too, and not randomly hacked up. Feels good to have wood coming in, while it's also going up the chimney!
All the big stuff was cut 16" to 18" which is perfect. Some of the smaller chunks were cut short but most is good. If the people weren't so nice and helpful I would have left a few uglies behind but since they wanted it all gone I did as they wished. Their neighborhood is about 4 miles away from my house, a new ish neighborhood built basically in a forest of ash trees. They have my # now and I have a feeling it will shape up to be a continual source for dead ash.
Not just yet! But, if you saw how these neighborhoods are literally surrounded with dead ash trees, you can only assume it's a hoarder's paradise. It's funny how both neighbors appeared to be CLEARLY well off financially, yet the first guy said he rents a lift and cuts the trees himself (with what he said was with zero experience) because he cant bring himself to pay a pro, and the other lady did pay a pro, but was disgusted with the idea of the tree service charging her to take the wood away to just later sell it for firewood, when she can just have someone like me take it for free.
When you scrounge for your wood its funny how there are long periods of time when there is no wood to be had, then suddenly it's everywhere! Nice scrounges on excellent wood!