I need a new Garmin for the car but undecided on which one of the new ones to get. I've looked at a few web pages but let us say they could be more helpful. For example, I don't see differences between a $70 model vs a model well over $100. It is something we rarely use but there are times, like last summer with some long trips that we really appreciated one. I also have another trip coming up and would like to get a new one. I might also add that ours is old and its never been updated so lots of roads have changed. In addition, somehow we misplaced the cord for ours. I do have other cords that will work, kind of. But they don't work good as I have to keep plugging them in and unplugging them every time I start the car. On a trip, with a few stops this gets a big aggravating. Anyway, we've wanted one for some time and now is the right time. Help!
We've always used the Garmin Nuvi series, been pretty happy with them over the years. Sometimes you can find a deal on for lifetime maps included. However we've stopped using them because our cell phones now connect to the car and we use the GPS/Google Maps off the cell phone. The maps on the cell phone are constantly updated along with real time traffic alerts so you never have the need to purchase software to constantly update ever changing roads on the Garmin GPS. This kind of solution does not work for everyone and obviously you need to have a smartphone to utilize it. If you do have a smartphone you can purchase a cell phone mount for the car, my wife uses a slick one that connects to the air vent and is magnetized to the cell phone so it sticks in place. I always preferred the standalone GPS vs. the cell phone but what got me to switch was maps area always updated.
I have a dumb phone. And as for the maps, the garmin I have been looking at has lifetime map updates too. I also have a holder that just sits on the dash. I really don't like those stick on things.
There are other brands that compete with the Garmin. However, it might be best to stay with the garmin brand so you will be familiar with the format. I like the way the new ones show intersection when you approach them. That way you can see ahead what to anticipate at the turns. Esp. for those left hand turns on the interstate. Another thing is to look for lifetime updates. Some link to your phone for hands free calling. voice control I found to be frustrating. Never gave the right response. I bought a refurbished unit once. Just as good as any of the new ones of the same model. What I have found is all of them don't like extremes in temperatures. Every times I got lax about taking mine off the the top of the dash, they got fried. Either didn't work right or at all. When I put them under the seat when I exit the car, they were good to go. Most models have all the basics, so I wouldn't spend more than you need. Basic is best. Less fidgeting.
Well Larry if you lived in a cooler climate those things would not get fried! Never had that problem with the one we have and yes, I used it in the California and Arizona deserts too.
I never thought they would fry, but that is what happened on the dash. If the sun is out and you have the car closed up, that is all it takes. Small wonder so many accidental death happen that way.
I dont think I could ever go back to a stand alone GPS. The traffic routing that Waze does saves me a crapload of time. I am on the road every day for work, and I have Waze up and running every moment the wheels are turning for alerts where the police are hiding etc. Depending on time of day, I will let it route me even if I know exactly where I'm going so I know I'm going to be taking the quickest route. I have a phone holder that mounts in the CD slot on my radio. I use steering wheel controls, so it's not obtrusive 90% of the time because I'm operating around home I know you love that dumb phone Dennis, but something to think about.
Back in 08 or 09, I bought a re-furbished one from wally world. It saved some $$, only thing is-nowadays it has to be updated!
Ditto. A smart phone solves the problem. A smartphone also ensures you have a camera on you at all times.
But I have only a dumb phone and am not ready to replace it. But as an update, I just got done ordering a new one. A Drivesmart 61 is what we ordered. Supposed to be here on the 27th which is good as I have a trip planned.
You gonna stop by here Dennis? I’m off all next week! Hey wait a minute.... don’t none of you chuckleheads say nothin’!!!
Yes many of the displays will shut off with too much heat. They'll shut off in the sun on a open boat too. Some are worse than others of course so ymmv.
Wife uses our "smartphone" when we're going to an unfamiliar area. I signed up for a couple months of ATT wireless hotspot in the car for the holidays to give that a try. We can use a larger screen now (tablet, laptop) if we want. She'll probably think I'm crazy when we get in the car. Doubt I'll keep it for very long. I've spent more money on worser stuff.
This is the one I have. It doesn't insert far enough to impede a CD that is in the radio. Mpow Car Phone Mount,CD Slot Car Phone Holder Universal Car Cradle Mount with Three-Side Grips and One-Touch Design for iPhone X/8/8Plus/7/7Plus/6s/6P/5S, Galaxy S5/S6/S7/S8, Google, Huawei etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC29ETE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2mrhCbSVG7BHT
Thanks for the link...I like it. Also looking at a magnetic holder the sticks to the dash with adhesive
I have had them shut down from the heat, but they also fry up and won't work right. So I just toss them out. I can't deal with the frustration of being broken. Once I have tossed them out. I feel much better. Alway can get another without the aggravation. Plus, I alway have it on my phone. Not the same as it won't stay lit but a minute or so unless it detects your activity
I like this for the phone or GPS on the dash. Use a little double face tape to keep from losing the suction for the holder to the mount.