In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My Mini Indoor Mushroom Farm

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Daryl, Apr 19, 2014.

  1. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    For Oslo -

    My close friend is a mushroom farmer and has spent thousands for his set up. This cost me about $45.




    based on:



     
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    milleo, raybonz, basod and 2 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Very Nice! "Why not" :)
    Also cool to put a voice to a name
    Thanks for sharing and good luck with the mushrooms...
     
    raybonz likes this.
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    How long do they grow for? Do you have to start over after a few months?
     
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Nice video, we have been thinking about doing this too.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  5. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I knew someone that made mushrooms once. I think they were illegal. :zip:
     
    Pyroholic, raybonz, CNE deer and 2 others like this.
  6. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    I have read there are 1-3 harvests with the indoor kits. The outdoor beds, I have no idea. The bellas I have do extremely well when the temp is between 60-65 degrees. The mycelium may die off if the temp reaches 70 or more. That is why I wanted to grow the mushrooms indoors (on a budget).

    I have read the mycelium will suck up all the nutrients so I have to find a way to not start over. I need to research the topic more. One idea I have is to continue to break up the straw with the mycelium and mix it in with new straw. I also want to see if I can get the mushrooms to release spores.

    Either way, the kit has produced enough that it has paid for itself.

    There is a "proper" technique to growing mushrooms and I am trying to find a short cut. I am not sure if I will be successful.
     
    raybonz likes this.
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    That looks like a great project. Do they need much sunlight? A basement would seem ideal until the hot muggy days raise temps inside.
     
  8. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    The instructions say either no sunlight or no direct sunlight for two reasons - The temperature restrictions and the sun turns the mushrooms brown. I am not sure if that is the case with every variety. A basement or other dark cool space would be a perfect environment.
     
  9. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I thought they were raised in dark areas. I will admit I am having sauteed mushrooms and onions with steak tonight after I saw this post this morning.

    Sauteed mushrooms, mushroom pizza, mushroom soup in the winter...
     
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Keep us posted on spore producing, I'd be interested in trying this as well sometime! Thx for posting this
     
  11. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I had a buddy that grew them in raised boxes with full sheets of plywood on top, hinged on one end. His were set in a mature white pine grove to keep the sunlight from over heating the space
     
  12. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    The problem is keeping the temp constant between 60-65. Otherwise, I would love to stick these outside. I have read that varieties have different requirements.

    I mentioned adding straw to the mix. I didn't state that it should be pasteurized first.
     
  13. RockyMtnHigh

    RockyMtnHigh

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Bailey, Colorado
    Outdoors pasteurizing isn't as important as indoors. Indoors you have a lot more nasty stuff all cluttered in the air in a somewhat stagnant environment. Outdoors you get proper air exchange which doesn't allow all the bad stuff to grow on your substrate unless you have a poor location.
     
  14. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239