the decomp valve on my Stihl 660 pops every time I pull the starter rope. It's not a huge deal unless I forget to push it down before the next pull and about pull my fingers off my hands. I'm assuming it's an easy fix, but I thought I'd ask first. Do I just pull the decomp valve and replace with a new one.
So I looked at pulling the decomp valve, but couldn't find a socket or spark plug socket that would fit in the space. Does it take a special tool to pull it?
It's a 13mm. A 1/4" deepwell isn't deep enough. A 3/8" drive in 13mm might get in there. I've actually never seen a wrench that wouldn't fit. I'm sure there are other sizes out there, but mine are all the same size
Dakota Hoarder I don't want to sound like a tool snob here, but quite often less expensive sockets have thicker sidewalls due to inferior metal used. Also look down the "barrel" of the socket, many aren't full size all the way through. 13MM & 1/2" standard are the same size, if you have a quality 1/2" deep well, try that.
Thanks Amateur Cutter, that makes sense, I'm sure my sockets are the less expensive variety. No wonder I always have problem getting my sockets into tight places!
I got the right socket and swaped out the decomp valve with one off my 441 part saw. Surprising how the having the right tool makes a job simple a quick. Thanks again for the help!