In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening with gutters?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Apr 15, 2014.

  1. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,515
    Likes Received:
    95,535
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I was thinking that if you did more than one row of gutters on the fence, you could run a soaker hose along the top and if there is drainage in the gutters, the water would drip down through the gutters to the ground. I think it is a good idea to use gutters for smaller veggies but my concern would be how quickly they would dry out if you get any amount of wind.

    Rows of flowers along the top of a fence would look great as well.
     
  2. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
  3. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,515
    Likes Received:
    95,535
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    That's cool. It would look lovely filled with Wave petunias. It would become a wall of flowers and colour.
     
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    It looks like the wife and I have come up with one idea we really like so far. The beauty of this is we can put up a 4*4 on each end inside and then run a 2*6 down the middle for support in the winter. This means we can grow in in spring summer fall and early winter then fill it with firewood for hard winter. It will get year round use and be very strong. This is very appealing to me.... The other nice part is I can ground treat the fence and bury it a ft deep for strength and critter deterrent. It also means we can hang gutters inside and out just for the heck of it.


     
    RockyMtnHigh likes this.
  5. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    One would have to be careful for enough soil volume (4water retention/availability)for Waves. ( Pots for resale are usually [close to or already]root-bound - it is unfortunately what people buy, so that's what the growers grow )

    IMG_0389.JPG
    I grow lettuce in mine and I have sealed the ends this year because they dry out real quick in the Summer heat and the water will run right out too quick otherwise.
    Mulch for the sun would probably help.
    I might drill a small drain hole in one end so if we get several days of really wet soaking weather they don't drown.
    I gotta get some more ends and make some more.

    These are some fusible Wave petunias plugs that are some new ( mix of ) colors that might be available next Summer (2015).
    They should have been in bigger pots a month ago.
    [ like this: http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-14365-petunia-fuseables-burgundy-starlight.aspx ]
    IMG_0390.JPG
    (Kale on the end for the sharp eyes. )
     
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    RockyMtnHigh, raybonz, basod and 3 others like this.
  6. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I got thinking about making one with the piece of leftover gutter - then I remembered what the racket was with gutters, the gutter is cheap - the end caps and hangers were more than the gutter was.
     
  7. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    The transition from Fall to Spring in a small hobby greenhouse isn't always pretty. Like too many garages, space can be a convenient place for clutter as the above pics attest. Cleaned up of Winter junk, more space becomes available. Still working on making more (space not junk) . Only needed for a couple weeks then the space can be used for clutter again.
    A sunday of cleaning and repotting plugs:
    IMG_0392.JPG
     
    Pallet Pete, basod and Woodwidow like this.
  8. RockyMtnHigh

    RockyMtnHigh

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Bailey, Colorado
    That is a legit design. Me and the lady have TONS of veggie spouts and some watermelon going. We didn't plan well lol. We have voles here which can be a huge problem. I already have a ton of tight wound chicken wire to lay under this. I wonder if you could get corrugated plastic roofing to conform the the shape of this design if you let it get nice and warm in the summer sun.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.