In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I need a truck

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Jon_E, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

My '04 Ram 1500 gave it up a few weeks ago, blew the bearings apart in the engine (Hemi should get more than 160k miles, right?) but it was on the way out anyway. Needed new tires (35's), complete exhaust, only body panel that wasn't rusted through was the hood, interior was pretty trashed, I pretty much worked it to death. So even before the $3k needed to put a used engine back in it, I would have needed to put $6500 into it just to get it inspected in December. No thanks.

So I have a $30k budget, cash in the bank, need a truck that will get me through another 10-12 years. I live on a gravel road, and the towns here in Vermont use a lot of salt, and whatever I get will take a beating. I am NOT nice to vehicles. Not financing, so used is the only way to go. I volunteer as a Scoutmaster for Boy Scouts so I need a crew cab and the occasion to tow a single-axle 3500# trailer about six times a year. I haul lumber, trash, various stuff around in it almost every weekend.

I have only ever owned Ford or Dodge half-ton trucks. I am not hearing good things about the reliability and quality of the GMC/Chevy trucks. I hate the Ford F250 interior (we have one at work) but I really like the F150's. I'm concerned that a new Ram is going to have the same problems that the old one had. And the Toyotas and Nissans are way out of my price range unless I get lucky. I'd also like to find something that hasn't already been blasted with salt for several winters.

Wonder if anybody has some good advice about their experiences?

2. Marvin

Marvin

3. Chaz

Chaz

I've only ever been a GM guy, so I guess I can only wish ya luck finding a truck that fills the bill for you.

It can be a hassle finding a used truck that has the right combination (or lack of) mileage and especially body rot.
    :hair:

Chazsbetterhalf, Chvymn99 and Eric VW like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

As you know Jon, here the problem is rust and brake lines. My opinion is here the Toyota are over priced but Not a fan of Nissan..

Chvymn99, Eric VW and Chaz like this.
  5. chris

chris

Plenty of used F150 on the market but geez the pricing- as bad as the compact tractor market. In Fact the whole pick up market is priced way too high just not quite as bad as the used skid steer market. I have never had a crew cab unit but have been running the extra/super cab units. Crew cab and a 8 ft box will take most of an acre to turn around that's a long wheel base to be tooling around the parking lots. Pretty much a Ford guy here,all my trucks have been Fords ( well I did have a Nissan King cab 1980 vintage for a couple years - it was fine for what I was doing at the time- but it did not last long against the road salt. Generally the Fords have had the heaviest running components with Dodge on the other end and GM in the middle as far as light trucks go. Each brand has there quirks. So I won't bash any.

6. lukem

lukem

The current generation ('09 and up) F150 supercabs are plenty roomy in the back for hauling kids or small adults...you'll save quite a bit if you go this route over crew cab.

My F150 is going on 10 years old and has 0 rust anywhere. Granted, we don't get New England levels of winter here, but it ain't Florida either. The GM and Dodges of the same vintage are all showing rust in the cab corners and rear wheel wells.

Chvymn99, Eric VW and Chaz like this.
  7. ironpony

ironpony

3rd gen Cummins. Done. Be close on a 4th gen price wise, I have seen some around here for 30. I paid 31 for my 12 last year.
    Right now on CL Columbus Ohio there is a 3rd gen Mega cab long bed Cummins for sale. 113000 miles $28,000 barely broken in.

Chvymn99 and Eric VW like this.
  8. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I picked up a 2013 silverado last year. I was replacing a run down cummins dodge.... I'm very happy with it, has been reliable, class 2 towing, great AWD system, almost as good as our Subarus.... I did add a set of airlift bags to level my towing out....

Hope this helps.

Eric VW likes this.
  9. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

10. rottiman

rottiman

Drove a 2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a 6.0 vortec, automatic yesterday. Had about 26,000 miles on it. Super clean inside and out Pure crew cab work truck with bare necessities of air, cruise pw,pl and trailer towing package. Rubber matted floors. Not fancy, but a real work horse. If I wanted another truck I probably would have jumped on it.

You might wanna try spray oiling your vehicles each fall. Sure makes a big difference in saving them and we get more salt use up here than you do in Vermont.

11. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I like the idea of rubber floors in a truck over carpet. I end up just totally covering the carpet with floor liners anyway.

fordf150, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 6 others like this.
  12. rottiman

rottiman

Body may not , but the chincy steel frame will...............

Chaz, Chvymn99, Camber and 3 others like this.
  13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

This was going to be my input as well..... sound advice rottiman :yes:

Chaz, Chvymn99, imwiley1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Eventually, but it should be fine for the time that he plans to have it. Down here it's far more often that the body rots away before the truck, unless it's a plow truck.

Horkn, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I'd more worried about a Ford.
    I just swapped a Ford motor, flat rate of 50+hrs and it was messy!!!!!!!!!

Chaz and Camber like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I see this too, friend has old delorean, stainless does not rust but all fasteners do!!

Same with old fiberglass corvettes:eek:

Chaz, Camber and rottiman like this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

What was it exactly?

Chaz, Chvymn99 and Camber like this.
  18. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Wish I had a great answer for you. I'll stick with the basics. A well maintained used truck will always be better than new. However, too many people think their thrashed used truck is worth next to new pricing. Stay away from '07 -'10 - ish trucks. A lot of corners were cut during the great recession. My '08 Silverado has been a lot of hassles with rust and transmission...

Farmchuck, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  19. Jon_E

Jon_E

I am leaning toward a 2015 or 2016 F150 with the crew cab. I need room for larger adults in the back - mostly for Scout events. In five or six years I'll probably trade it in for something different, while it still has some value.

My boss has an '06 Silverado 2500 with 140k or 150k miles on it, oils the underside every year, that thing is spotless. I really need to do that with whatever I buy.

Chaz, Chvymn99 and Camber like this.
  20. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Dad bought a ‘13 Chevy... hasn’t been happy with it for quite a while. Not the same Chevy as his ‘08 that he traded in. But has ridden in my ‘15 F150 and likes it. So I’ve been looking in the city for a ‘14 to ‘16 with low miles for him... some I wonder were the price method came from....

Chaz and Camber like this.