going in this year, just a picture of more Cherry going in before the rain hits. In the second picture you can see the rounds of Maple & Cherry.
Good bit of snow up there yet Zap. It hit close to 60 and sunny here today. Rain moving in for the next few days here also. Had a fire last night and will likely start one before bed and may load again in the morning. Prediction is 55º and rain tomorrow.
I've got about 1/2 cord up on the patio yet. If I use that up which I doubt, the boiler will have to take over for the chill chaser.
We're supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow with rain moving in tomorrow night, we're down to two fires a day.
They have been hanging down here lately, it's the best I've seen them look after a winter since we moved here. The ice storm put plenty of tops down they're still eating
Looks good woodlands! You have all your wood split and stacked for next year already? The year after as well probably. Because I know you know Dennis. I have to get to work on splitting mine for next year. Good thing it is all Ash, Pine and Spruce and I have good drying areas. I need to get it all split and stacked by the end of April. Hey. How is Sav anyway? I have not seen much of him here. But, I have been busy and not looking around as much as I should.
Woods… our news reported lately that the Maine herd really had a hard time this year with the deep snows. And, unfortunately way too many coyotes. Deer were sitting ducks. We'll see how it all sorts out as the year goes along… maybe it won't have been as bad as they think. Your wood looks good…
Yes, next years wood has been up, that area holds 3.05 cord, the good hardwood we usually burn has been c/s/s since the winter of 2010, we usually burn 1.22 cord in the colder months. We also have 1.83 cord of shoulder season wood that will be over a year old that will be ready for this year, we have the same ready for each year.
We missed some of the big storms your area received, that helped them out big time. This year should be a good year for cutting, my inventory should look like it did before I helped out a neighbor last year. The coyotes took two deer that I saw, we still had 22 - 35 deer around the property.
The wood to the right in the picture is a holding or seasoning area, we stack our good hardwood there then move it to the north side where we draw it from during the winter. The way it works for us is we have two areas we stack 3.05 cord of Cherry, out front where we stack the good hardwood hold just under 3 cord, the rest of the areas are just for inventory.
Thanks Chvymn, with this warmer weather and the rain moving in it should get rid of enough snow that I can start stacking some nice Beech on the northside of the house. I do have some Red & White Oak from 2012 (October) that will be moved an covered, I'll be checking the M/C on that in June. I will also top cover that once it's moved to the northside. The Oak came from a scrounge, my first.
Thanks Fanatical1, we're good on the wood inventory at this moment for three years or more, this year will just add to that. If I cut enough then I could sell some but after this winter that wOOd be a hard decision to make. My goal is to cut about five cord of Cherry, I'm not sure on how much good hardwood is down but we do have lots of Yellow Birch damaged by the ice storm that will be added to the stacks. If everything works out it would be nice to cut 7-8 cord before next winter hits.
Great pics You burn the same amount this year as last ? Looks like you have extra for the unexpected long winters
We burned more this year, we had 1.83 cord of shoulder season wood ready this year, everything else is about the same, 3.05 cord of Cherry & the better hardwood we burned more but don't have the final total, we usually burn 1.22 cord but burned more this year. For this coming heating season, shoulder season wood ready 1.83, Cherry 3.05 cord and the better hardwood 1.22 cord. All this we plan on burning, we have more seasoned wood in the inventory so if it's another tough winter we'll be ready.
With the variety I have, I burn birch, for shoulder, and as my good stuff . Be nice to have your variety Had 7 cord ready, burned around 6 so far.
With all the rain we received last night, I think that I can get to what's left of some shoulder season wood (Hemlock) so we'll burn this stack Cherry then switch to the Hemlock.