I ordered this kit from Northern Tool because it was deeply discounted, and Free Shipping!!! It took my poor husband a couple of months to put it together, working weekend days when it wasn't raining, broiling, or occupied with other activities. It was supposed to be all riveted, but he ended up drilling holes and bolting it in many places. The directions were very subtle. It's advertised to hold 2/3 of a cord, and I'm going to start filling it right away, before the first stiff breeze knocks it over.
I'm sure it will be fine once it is filled up, but if you want to add some stability/strength to it when empty, a couple 1/8" cables strung up corner to corner diagonally in the back side would do it.
Thanks for the idea. I think it will pretty much stay full. I've got enough in there to keep it from flying away for tonight, I hope.
Is this it for $699.99 ?? West Galvanized Steel Storage Container Extension Kit 3 1/2Ft., Model# EX3.5 | Northern Tool + Equipment
No, this one. Stonegate Designs Galvanized Steel Firewood Shed — 2/3-Cord Capacity, Model# WS-002 Sale $79.99 Reg.$199.99 Save $120.00 Stonegate Designs Galvanized Steel Firewood Shed 2/3-Cord Capacity, Model# WS-002 | Northern Tool + Equipment
Wow, did you see those customer pics on the NT site?! Apparently these do need a lil reinforcement...
I didn't read the reviews until now. Yeah, assembly was a bear. But this one... " The first night after we started stacking wood in it we had our first snow in the area. Woke up in the morning to find the shed totally destroyed. It's not like we had a hurricane..our weather station showed a max wind gust overnight of 19 mph. One side of the shed and the roof was crumpled over on the ground about five feet from the rest of the shed. Inspection showed that even at that low a wind speed the rivets had torn through the thin steel panels allowing the shed to totally come apart." Sounds like they didn't get it full of wood before snow hit. I'm thinking that once it's packed tight, it won't deform.
You get what you pay for! We'll find out! Maybe the way to go is ratchet straps around the whole thing once fully loaded.
I was thinking of a box inside of a box idea. Either plywood floor and walls for reinforcement or 1x6 vertical strips .
Yeah there's not much support there for snow load 2 vertical 2x4 in the middle, one on the front, one on the back would go a long way towards stopping that roof from collapsing. I have to add snow load supports to a greenhouse plastic roof. Hey the price was right for what it is and it looks nice.
Maybe it’s the camera angle, but the OP pic looks like the walls are upside down. Like the “pitch” cut of the side panels is attached to the deck.... perhaps my screen is a li’l
Oh, I am not being negative on this shed, but being proactive will possibly stop what is already identified as a problem. It can't be full of wood all of the time (and if it magically keeps itself full, I want ten of them!!!!)
I like the vertical 2x4 idea. I'm not very far along filling it, so nows the time to get them in there. Too much work to build a box inside it. My husband says he's done with it. This won't be a "feeder" shed that I'm continually taking wood out of to burn. Strictly for seasoning. When the wood inside is dry, I'll put it in my main woodshed, and fill it up again with green wood. Here's a side view of the pitch.