In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Eavestroughs

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Apr 6, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good thinking! Those are great necessities in a pinch..
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Eavestrough, now that is a word not frequently used anymore. We say ''guttah'' in this area.

    Nice job, I never liked cleaning them. I've seen small saplings growing out of some peoples gutters over the years.
     
  4. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Our gutters rarely ever clog......no trees directly around the house......

    Which is why i found it so odd last year when i starting having a waterfall out of our one gutter on the deck side of the house during every rainstorm. After several storms I inspected the gutter and found the culprit to be a foam ball that apparently one of the kiddos threw up on the roof.......it had perfectly sealed the downspout!!
     
    Got Wood?, eatonpcat and thewoodlands like this.
  5. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Looking out south living room window last late October,I seen this squirrel grabbing a Black Walnut from the gutter of neighbor's roof.Nearest tree is about 50 feet to the southeast in their backyard.I have 2 big ones (1 of them has twin leaders that start about 4 feet up) along my east fence.Plus house behind me to the east has 1 medium size in their backyard too.
     

    Attached Files:

    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      107.8 KB
      Views:
      1
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      109.3 KB
      Views:
      1
    Got Wood? and thewoodlands like this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We usually clean them twice a year, spring & fall, some azz never did the fall cleaning on the front. o_O
     
    Got Wood? and Scotty Overkill like this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    My grandmother (on the Italian side) she cooked a gray squirrel then put in the spaghetti sauce one day when I went to eat.
     
  8. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Never ate it,supposed to be tender & taste similar to chicken. (But I think people say that about most anything :rofl: :lol:)

    I do know that farm-raised alligator tail breaded & deep fried at a local Cajun joint is closer to chicken than anything I've had.Very tasty & mild,especially with certain hot sauces.
     
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The older Italians like them, I never ate very much of the gray, they grew up in an era where they didn't have much, nothing was wasted.

    Even in my grandmothers last years she saved tin foil so she could scrub certain pans, she never bought any of the scouring pads from the store.
     
    rookie1 likes this.
  10. rookie1

    rookie1

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2013
    Messages:
    938
    Likes Received:
    2,418
    When we remodeled and added on my wife talked me into spending a little extra for the leaf guard style gutters. I havent had to clean them since. I always tell her she had a great idea! :yes:
     
    Got Wood? and thewoodlands like this.
  11. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    My business partner came from Ireland, he said that was a staple over there. Squirrels, chicken and rabbit.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Love fried gray squirrel, been many years since I had it.
    Taste great.
    Looks more like a fox squirrel, (bushy red tail) they're good too :)
    Tastes like fried squirrel, much better than chicken. Memories :) :)
     
  13. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Got enough reds here to feed the whole town fer a year… mmmmmm… here little reddy… come to papa… :MM:
     
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    A few nights ago, maybe more I had to come up with something different to clear a clogged downspout, I'll get a pick tonight, it worked like a charm.

    I'll get back to cleaning the gutters twice a year, spring & fall.