In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

American Cheese Recipe

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Grizzly Adam, Apr 5, 2014.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I want to try this next time I have some colby.

    1½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin
    1 tablespoon water
    12 ounces Colby cheese, shredded fine (about 3 cups)
    1 tablespoon whole dry milk powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
    ½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk

    Full instructions here.
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I'd rather just eat the Colby.:)
    My favorite cheese.
    However, that looks interesting and I may try it sometime.
    Thanks Grizz.
     
    Grizzly Adam likes this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I didn't notice it was from "The Brown Eyed Baker".
    I"ve had her bookmarked for a while now.
     
    Grizzly Adam likes this.
  4. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,532
    Likes Received:
    95,625
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    So if I make this in Canada, is it Canadian cheese? when I was a kid, Mom would buy Velveeta cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Oooooh, a philo-so-fer.
    A rose by any other name...........
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    If you make French toast in Canada is it French Canadian toast?
     
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Velveet-eh. ;)
     
    papadave and Woodwidow like this.
  8. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,305
    Likes Received:
    58,695
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Brown-Eyed Baker....HeHe!!