In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting ready for hunting season

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 3, 2018.

  1. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    Assassin.jpg
    Just came yesterday. Haven't shot it yet but will shortly.
     
  2. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,289
    Likes Received:
    58,558
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Very nice!!
     
  3. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,664
    Likes Received:
    144,666
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  4. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Excalibur? Best hunting crossbows on the market (IMHO). I may be a little biased as the company started here in Ontario Canada. Simple bows (recurve) that work great, are fast and deadly accurate. They were bought by bowtech a few years ago. Great customer service too. I have had one for about 15 years and about 2 years ago I noticed a few fibers in one of the limbs separating. I contacted the company and they sent me a new pair of limbs free of charge:yes:

    I really think you are going to like. Best of luck with it this fall.

    Just curious as to your season. Here, crossbows are considered bows and we have a three month deer season from October 1st to December 31st. I have heard that some places they have different or separate seasons for crossbows.
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    This is my second Excalibur bow and I love them. For sure the warranty is the best on these bows but one of the best things is that you can do your own work on them and not have to take them to a bow shop. This is one of the reasons some commercial people give them a low mark. After all, they want to support the bow shops but Excalibur bows don't need them.

    I was a bit concerned when they sold out but so far, so good.

    Our season runs Oct 1 through Nov. 14 then again from December 1 until Jan 1.
     
    bear 1998, RCBS, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  6. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    I really like the built in cocking aid. I have the older exomax with a 225# draw weight. A cocking aid would be a nice addition.

    Might need to change your alias from Backwoods Savage to Backwoods Assassin.;)
     
    milleo, bear 1998, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  7. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,743
    Likes Received:
    61,989
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    I have a Barnett Quad400 that I don't shoot nearly enough, and don't hunt with it yet due to that lack of proficiency and/or confidence in being able to ensure a good clean takedown.

    Those Excalibur's are nice.
    :thumbs:

    What model is that one, and how many fps on the bolt?
     
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    I also have an exomag but have a cocking aid for it too.
     
    bear 1998, brenndatomu and Chaz like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    It is the new Assassin crossbow and can shoot 360 fps but that also depends upon what weight arrow and point you shoot. I plan on using 150 grain broadheads this fall so will also shoot 150 grain field tips.
     
    bear 1998, RCBS, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  10. clay shooter

    clay shooter

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2017
    Messages:
    1,419
    Likes Received:
    7,323
    Location:
    ENGLAND
    thats a nice bow dennis,we cant shoot any thing over here with a bow, its illegal.
     
  11. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,517
    Likes Received:
    95,543
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Kind of ironic actually when you think of the reputation the English longbow men had.
     
    milleo, bear 1998, RCBS and 6 others like this.
  12. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    It's actually still legal to hunt with a bow from the 15th to 30th, but you have to wear orange.

    Guessing you knew that, tho :salute:
     
  13. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Similar here. Have to wear orange during an active gun season.
     
  14. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    What????? Call Robin Hood.
     
    milleo, bear 1998, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    Yes, but not on the archery license. Still have to buy a firearms license.
     
    bear 1998, Chaz, XXL and 1 other person like this.
  16. clay shooter

    clay shooter

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2017
    Messages:
    1,419
    Likes Received:
    7,323
    Location:
    ENGLAND
    back in 1980, a young lad shot a swan in the neck, with a cross bow and you cant shoot swans over here, it illegal because its classed as the queens bird.so after that they banned shooting any thing with a cross bow, only target shooting.
     
    bear 1998 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    Seems a little silly to ban on just one wrongdoing.
     
    bear 1998, RCBS and Chaz like this.
  18. clay shooter

    clay shooter

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2017
    Messages:
    1,419
    Likes Received:
    7,323
    Location:
    ENGLAND
    thats our goverment for you.knee jerk laws.
     
    milleo, bear 1998, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  19. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,743
    Likes Received:
    61,989
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Unfortunately, we know a fair bit about that here as well.
    :picard::headbang:
     
  20. bear 1998

    bear 1998

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2017
    Messages:
    2,016
    Likes Received:
    16,253
    Location:
    S.C.Pa
    Nice lookin bow Dennis!..:thumbs:...
    Oct. 28th 2010....I shot this in N.E. Ohio
    0813181505.jpg
    With that......
    0813181505a.jpg
    But...I'd rather use this....
    0813181502.jpg
    Shoulder has calcium deposits in joint n creeks n pops under pressure...:startled: