In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pull behind wood haulers (post em here)

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Wise8706, Apr 8, 2016.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Great idea. Maybe you could make some metal ramps.

Chaz, leoht, clemsonfor and 3 others like this.
  2. jo191145

jo191145

Metal was my first idea for ramps. This first test taught me just how much metal on metal likes to slide. My standard ramps have those aluminum clips on the front. Using two of them was half funny and half disaster:)
    So I’m thinking I have some 4x4’s and plywood in the barn. Build a temporary ramp with the 4x4’s on top to help keep the logs centered.
    The log arch will be the final solution I’m sure. It’ll make stacking logs much easier.

Chvymn99, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Nice trailer. I should think about a winch for my car hauler

Chaz, jo191145, leoht and 1 other person like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I have equipment ramps on my dump trailer, is the idea I was thinking. The log arch you mentioned, I guess you are talking about a short boom arm, should work, just think about the additional leverage it will have. Be safe, man.

Chvymn99, Chaz, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  5. jo191145

jo191145

Google Image Result for https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uSalxeolbMY/maxresdefault.jpg
    Thinking along the lines of this. As you can see there’s a little more engineering required :)
    I wouldn’t think it would need to be so tall. I’m not really looking for the arch to load it entirely on the trailer. Just pick the log enough in the front to get two layers of logs on the trailer then just unhook and pull it forward normally. A quick detach sheave should work nicely. Several connection points left and right for the sheave to allow precise placement.
    I’m also looking to make it easily removable. This does require some extra thinking about strength vs size and weight.
    Also not looking to tear the rear of the trailer apart. Dump trailers aren’t made for a lot of lateral load in the back.

My temporary ramp worked half well. The 4x4’s did well with no sliding. The plywood, which I knew would take a beating not so well :) For one I made it a little too short. Wanted to be able to toss it in my 6’ pickup bed with room to spare. Good enough for flat ground but where I was testing there’s a swale on the side of the road which changed the height of the trailer. Whoops. The first log pierced right through the plywood. A nice layer of sheet steel there would work much better.
    Yep, while I’m trying to balance light weight and strength these little tests have given me an even greater respect for the forces and dangers involved. Definitely want to get it right the first time.

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

This ramp will get so heavy you will need the log arch to lift it!

bear 1998, jo191145 and Chaz like this.
  7. jo191145

jo191145

The idea is to do away with the ramp entirely. It is at least somewhat educational for someone like me who’s never hauled logs. Get a little experience, learn some of the problems one can anticipate. See how the winch and rigging works. Grab some free wood before someone else scoffs it up.
    LOL it’s amazing how light that wood gets when it’s been sitting in a barn for 10+ years. I remember lugging them in there. Your spot on though, I’m looking for lightweight not build a stone drag that doubles as a ramp.

clemsonfor likes this.
  8. cnice_37

cnice_37

Log arches are awesome for guys that want to mill, like the Matt Cremona link.

For firewood, just cut it into rounds and a simple 2x12 should suffice as a ramp. If you really want to load the big guys long, get a couple 2x12s and parbuckle with that winch! Google that term if you aren't familiar. You will be limited by the width of the trailer.

My 2 cents, actual cash value nada.

9. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

Helping a friend move some wood.
    We stacked a ricks worth on today, i had both stacks strapped for the way home.

When i built my sides, i made it so i could have about a 30" box upfront.
    I literally just layed the wood out and screwed it all together as i went. Nothing on
    paper or anything. Took me a few days, had it all in my head.

Well, check this out-

20180630_164852.jpg 20180630_164909.jpg 20180630_164925.jpg

When i got back home, i trimmed off a few ends and was able to slide my gate down.
    Rick fits perfectly in the space i never planned on storing a rick in. Hah!
    I can fit 7 ricks when stacked. Could fit 3 cord if i ever figure out how to do side for the dovetail.
    I love this trailer.
    It would be full if i didnt have plans for it tomorrow. Possibly picking up a 4th jeep. Eeek.

10. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

IMG_0841 (800x600).jpg This is my firewood and everything else hauler. Small compared to many I have seen on this thread. I made this trailer over 35 years ago. First trailer I ever made so I keep it around for sentimental reasons. I has a 6000 lb mobile home multi leaf axle under it and 3000 lb each lowboy tires. It tilts but not actually dumps. Box is 8'-6" long X 4'-6" wide and 2' tall sides + the rail. If I put 4' plywood sides inside against the sides and front, it will haul an honest cord. The more weight in it the better it rides. I revamped the sides and deck and painted it not to long ago so it still looks good. Used high density overlay both sides 3/4" form plywood for the sides and treated car decking for the deck. I was able to get 10' long sheets of one time used plywood from a job we had just finished so I didn't have to piece in the 8'-6" sides. It fits all my small time needs and never lets me down. Definitely a trusted old friend!

WinonaRail, Stlshrk, Winston and 17 others like this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

That's a cool small heavy duty trailer. Most of my wood I have to carry some distinct to it so by the time I fill a truck and that size trailer I am done for the time.

That is an amazing set of stacks in a cool shed.

metalcuttr, Camber, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  12. JCMC

JCMC

Nice trailer and great stacks. Metalcuttr

metalcuttr and Camber like this.
  13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

You probably have a good portion of what my trailer cost me new just in that wood! Haha

Camber and bear 1998 like this.
  14. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

My only investment has been in all the hardware to tie it all together.
    Ive spent zero dollas on the lumber.

15. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Believe me, if I fill a truck and trailer I am done for the day also. Just can't hustle all day like I used to! JCMC Thanks for the compliment. Too bad half of it went up in smoke last winter.

Dancan, Camber, bear 1998 and 2 others like this.
  16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Very nice

bear 1998 and clemsonfor like this.
  17. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

Had an accident today

Ill get it fixed up

20180704_121540.jpg 20180704_154649.jpg 20180704_154655.jpg

Gasifier and Camber like this.
  18. Chaz

Chaz

Ouch.. that blows.:doh:
    At least it's fixable, annoying, but fixable.

clemsonfor, bear 1998 and Camber like this.
  19. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

I don't understand what I am seeing. Or how that bar got bent that badly. Enquiring minds want to know.

Lone_Gun, clemsonfor and bear 1998 like this.
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yes how did that happen, that normal vehicle didn't do that did it?

bear 1998 likes this.