Might not be possible to ID it because it's only a pic of some boards but figured I'd ask. We finally moved the piano into the house we bought about a year and a half ago because we had a good place to keep it and well because it's not easy to get help moving a piano. Any way to tell what wood it's made of? The grain looks pretty cool to me and I've never seen anything like it before.
Either decades old quarter or rift sawn White Oak veneer with an amber varnish/shellac or a damm good facsimile from a talented artist who knows how to use graining combs/brushes on cheaper plain wood such as Tulip Poplar etc....
Yes. Veneer goes back to the early 1700's. This piece is a sandwich of veneers. Mahogany on the outside, birch for the main piece and bird's eye maple on the inside. It was very difficult to see the maple laminated to the birch. My planer found it though. I was a little dissappointed that it was not thicker maple veneer.
Definitely bookmatched boards, and I'm on board with the quartersawn oak too..... I'm betting it's NOT a veneer though, probably solid oak cabinet.......either way, some beautiful figuring in that wood.
Veneer has been used for over 2000 years.I believe the Egyptians invented the process,not entirely sure though.Before ''modern'' thin sliced veneer as thin as 1/40",back a century or so sawed veneer was commonly used.Though it was a more wasteful process - nothing was less than 1/16" or 1/8" thick & even the thinnest blades used wasted as much as they cut.