In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kubotas at play. Er, I mean work!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Warner, Jan 20, 2018.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

It doesn't look that big in the picture but it was pretty good size. I was not able to get straight with it and had to pull it right around a stump.

Your tractor is saving you a lot of manual labor on that roofing job.

chipper1, Maina and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. RCBS

RCBS

Had to have dealership come and pick up the 3130. 3 pt is 'hunting'. Meaning: whenever it is in any position besides fully lowered, the hydraulics "bounce" causing the implement to jump up and down about an inch every 2 seconds. Consulted with senior Mech at dealership and we narrowed it down to 3pt control valve. "May as well buy the whole valve...never had any luck rebuilding them..." was his advice. They are going to further diagnose before replacing the valve. I had gotten all the workshop manual info on the valve and hydraulics under the seat...o_O. Not really an area I am comfortable messing with after review. They will also be checking valve lash while it is there.

I refuse to complain. The tractor has given 1300 trouble free hours in 15 years. I am figuring around $1200 for this service as the valve itself costs $600+. All in all, not bad considering usage ( I may lift more than is recommended occasionally :whistle:) and the fact that I can sell it after it is fixed for nearly what I paid new if I wanted to.

Flamestead, basod, chipper1 and 4 others like this.
  3. huskihl

huskihl

L48

More like work than play

20180518_155213.jpg

Stlshrk, Hammy, basod and 9 others like this.
  4. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

L48....broken 20180519_140441.jpg

Jack Straw, Stlshrk, Hammy and 6 others like this.
  5. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

6. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

nothing with the loader....something with the tractor,but im not open on saturday so did not return customer call.

chipper1 and Canadian border VT like this.
  7. chipper1

chipper1

Looks like they've put a few hrs on it already.

Well Seasoned likes this.
  8. chipper1

chipper1

I believe that, sometimes pictures just don't due justice, other times they grossly exaggerate.
    The tractor did make easy work of getting the shingles we tore off where we wanted them, good thing his yard is clay and it was very solid so I didn't track it up bad.
    Here's a few pictures.
    I forgot to get one of the full dumpster I pushed with the skidding winch/back side of the tractor, as well as the l3800, but I'll get more later.
    Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 11.49.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 11.48.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 11.48.38 PM.png

RCBS, basod, 94BULLITT and 3 others like this.
  9. chipper1

chipper1

Fired up the bota today so I could raise the loader and get some nice dry cherry I had for a fire. The wood was in a bin under it and all my other wood was outside under a tarp and it was raining. Hard to believe I've had a very small fire going a good portion of the day today, I even had one going for a little yesterday.

Flamestead, RCBS, basod and 3 others like this.
  10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Yeah pictures can be deceiving. If you take a pic of a steep hill, they never look that bad.

The roof looks really good.

chipper1, basod, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  11. Maina

Maina

I finally tried the Kubota on a little ground work with the bucket yesterday. I put about 3 hours on it, I’m up to 19! :rofl: :lol:
    I dug out several old stumps and literally tons of rock of all sizes. Several were too big to lift but I was able to push and roll them into place.
    Here’s a couple pictures. I know you can’t get a perspective from a photo but I thought the pickaroon might help a little. I still have a few stumps and I’m sure more rocks to dig out before I can try out the box blade on it.
    I must say I’m really impressed by how much my little L2501 can lift and push, and how well it digs without a tooth bar. I might rethink that one actually considering how well it works without it.
    DC741E44-F3B5-45CD-87BC-2E3C8F22C110.jpeg 7A8EF1C2-FCF8-4939-8085-5571CE9228ED.jpeg
    You can’t see it, but it’s at least 6’ off the back side of the pile. I got stuck once early into it by going down into the steep incline but it was solid and I pushed myself out with the bucket easily. I kept having to push the pile back but now I’m filling it in so I can drive onto it.
    We pretty much live in a rock garden. Everywhere you dig...:headbang:
    Sorry I didn’t take a before shot. That whole area in front was at least 18” higher with several stumps and several big rocks on it. It an area about 25x35 ft I’d say.

Stlshrk, Hammy, chipper1 and 9 others like this.
  12. cnice_37

cnice_37

Maina tooth bar shines in hard soil, so no big deal without if ground isn't super dry.

chipper1, Flamestead, Maina and 3 others like this.
  13. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

Runned over some chit and broke piping....called customer back and told them it's too far gone....scrap it.
    So I'll prolly get it for scrap and make lawn furniture out of some of it....maybe a cool swingset out of the rest for the neighbors kids,tires can be planters too.

chipper1, RCBS, basod and 1 other person like this.
  14. basod

basod

Some broke piping and it's scrapped?
    Is it just worn slap out?

15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

He has a John Deere...

chipper1, huskihl, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  16. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

yeah, i didnt drink the orange kool-aid

17. Flamestead

Flamestead

Pasture clipping season. Used to do this with a 6’ Bush Hog, but wife spoiled me last year with a secondhand flail. I’ll get a lot of seat time following the cattle around on their first rotation or two.
    A0650CAB-DD77-4D54-9460-DB10D94E55E6.jpeg
    2E6F98C2-2531-48C0-A9DE-2C02EAABE94D.jpeg
    C527FB3D-D936-485B-B5DA-9EF12D78A0B7.jpeg

Stlshrk, Hammy, RCBS and 10 others like this.
  18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

So your saying the backhoe is available?

Hammy, chipper1, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  19. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Wow, that a lot of Orange goodness.

I have a question for you guys as i may/may not be in the market for an orange machine. I have a relatively small lot 1/3 acre, but we get log loads delivered and try to take advantage of any scrounge possible. I'm also a small contractor. I'm looking a ta B or BX diesel tractor in the 25 Horse range. I would probably get it with the backhoe in addition to the loader. What would be the limits of such a machine. I would use it to clear driveway, mow, and probably get a rear tiller for it too....

chipper1, Chaz, Maina and 2 others like this.
  20. Flamestead

Flamestead

Nice question. I’ll take a stab at a framework for thinking about what you need.

There will be obvious physical constraints like the maximum dumping height of the loader, depth of reach of the backhoe, max lifting capacity of the loader and three pt hitch. Depth of snow/mud you can drive through. Etc.

Power might be thought of as a function of the value of your time, including the window of time available to get a job done (I need 3 hours to clear the barnyard and driveways of snow, and I get home at 6pm). There are rules of thumb for power requirements for various jobs (e.g., 10hp per foot of width of a disc mower for cutting hay).

And then longer-term reliability issues (I chose an M series to get a stronger front end than the L series, for repeatedly handling 800 lb round bales of hay while driving over rough ground).

Stlshrk, Hammy, chipper1 and 6 others like this.