In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by mattjm1017, Jan 18, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Spider plant babies, do they NEED to be removed? What would you do?

Attached Files:

2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Neuter them? :rofl: :lol:

yooperdave and wildwest like this.
  3. billb3

billb3

I used to position the plant so as to stick a few in pots so the roots would take off in some dirt before cutting them loose. After a while they would just fall off and dry up anyway. I used to donate the potted babies to either the local garden club or church group for plant sales . I only wanted the one plant.
    Right now I have a philodendron that has made it to the floor that needs a haircut. Or a new home.

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Bill, I think I need to do something soon, already picked up a few dead ones since I brought it home a month or so ago. Would you pick off the bigger babies and leave the stalk or give the mother plant a haircut? Either way, I need to pull out whatever I can use for initial water rooting (glasses, bowls etc.). Not sure where they will end up but I won't waste them.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  5. billb3

billb3

Eenie, meenie, minee, moe.
    If I remember correctly it took about three weeks for the little nubs to start growing roots once they were in dirt, then a couple weeks later I cut the stem attached to the plant. I tried just cutting them off and sticking them in potting soil and that didn't work. It took up valuable counter space at the time.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  6. Midwinter

Midwinter

This will be the extent of my vegetable gardening this year, 6 tomato plants. I bought a share in a hydroponic lettuce & sprouts CSA, and I'll hit the farm stands for corn.
    IMG_20180522_26933.jpg

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I started to pick the bigger most mature spider babies off the plant, spent 10 minutes, grabbed the scissors and gave it a hair cut. I put them in a bowl of water for now, I'll keep some, offer a bunch to the neighbors and either donate or list the rest for 1 cent each on the local facebook classifieds.

WWW planted the squash and peppers yesterday evening, pffft, heavy rain and hail just now. Thankfully not too much and smaller hail but :rolleyes:. The good news is we FINALLY have some substantial rain this afternoon, the other plants and patch of sod look very happy :)

Chvymn99 , the tiger lilies are 8-10" high, and the iris are over a foot :dex:

Well Seasoned and Chvymn99 like this.
  8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Gorgeous plant. I would leave them. Repot in a bigger pot. Try to root some to make more plants. I see by your post though that you gave the mother plant a haircut. I have never been able to grow one that gorgeous.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

WW, thank you, it is gorgeous!! That said I did not grow it, found it when we went to Colorado to see my father in the hospital while on the way home. I have NEVER had babies like that either. I cut the bottom 1/2 of babies off, most all of them, that many will take me some time to separate and and water root etc. I'd love to send you some if your interested and we can ship plants over the border :)

campinspecter and Well Seasoned like this.
  10. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Thanks for the offer but shipping across the border can get pretty touchy. I do have a spider plant - a variegated one but it is not as gorgeous as that one as it tends to have drought periods around here. I need to be more diligent with my watering schedule.

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Slight update...using that seed tray was great for a start but more difficult to get the seedlings out. Might need a new medium. Having said that, still planted corn, zucchini, some bell peppers, peas and a few sunflowers on my lady’s parents property. Animal of some kind got the pepper seedlings and dug out one zucchini.
    A2B1BBB1-3FA5-4465-A0D6-069CF6E7EF94.jpeg
    Tomatoes, onions, Brussel sprouts and others are going well at my house. Temps staying pretty comfortable as the day goes on. Same for my lady’s where she has the herbs and other seedlings.

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice job :)
    I have not put my flower seedlings in the ground but WWW did the squash and peppers a few days ago, I noticed a bunch of the cells were crushed, he said he had a REALLY hard time getting them out. Sadly hail pulverized all the squash/zucchini :doh:

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Thats a bummer but still early enough to try again on it?

wildwest and Well Seasoned like this.
  14. Well Seasoned

The plot is ready down below for planting tomorrow. Some transplanting and some direct sow. The soil temps are where I need them as well as air temps have stabilized enough overnight.

20180526_195450.jpg

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We're hoping they might grow back, too later here with a short growing season to restart. But hey, they peppers made it!

16. savemoney

savemoney

I vote for the "do nothing" keep it watered and fed. Spider plants are indoor air cleaners. The more plant, the more air cleaned. Want more plants? just bury the runners and have new ones. Only reason I keep them is for the work they do.

Midwinter, wildwest and Well Seasoned like this.
  17. Midwinter

Midwinter

18. justdraftn

justdraftn

Greenhouse build on hold. Got most of the garden planted.
    Started everything in the basement again. First time I have tried squash.
    Acorn, yellow crook neck and zukes. Looking really good after the transplant.
    Some even have blooms already. Half dozen sweet peppers and half dozen
    jalepenos. Still have beet starts to transplant. Start some beets from seed,
    some lettuce. See what kind of strange stuff they have left at the garden store.
    Got two nice wheel barrows of compost out of the composter. I was pretty
    skeptical when the wife got it, but it gets better ever year. Plenty of water in the ditch.
    Have a good feeling about this garden.

IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

Chaz, FatBoy85, Woodwidow and 3 others like this.
  19. Well Seasoned

Got everything transplanted and direct sowed the rest. There is an old dug well nearby, tomorrow's project is to get water down to the garden as well as fencing of some sort.

20180527_180227.jpg

savemoney, Chaz, yooperdave and 4 others like this.
  20. justdraftn

justdraftn

What are you growing on the trellis?
    Do you have to deal w/deer?

savemoney and Well Seasoned like this.