In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

redbud firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Spirit of Two Socks, May 16, 2018.

1. Spirit of Two Socks

Spirit of Two Socks

I've burned just about every kind of hardwood central Pennsylvania has to offer, and that's a lot!

Last June I was returning a book to a college library in Huntingdon. The maintenance guys were cutting down a tree right beside the library. I just happened to be driving my truck. Being the firewood hoarder that I am, I asked them what they planned to do with the wood. They told me they were going to dump it. I asked them if I could have it. They were more than happy to let me take it off their hands. They cut the pieces to the length I requested and even helped me load my truck. I helped them clean up the leaves, small branches, etc. It was a kind of wood I had never burned before. Redbud. I looked it up online and most people who had burned it gave it good reviews. Redbud doesn't usually get too big, but this tree was an exception. Anyway, it burned well for me. I doubt that I will ever have the opportunity to burn it again. It was very dense, burned for a long time, and made nice coals. The bark was very scaly and flaked off easily. The wood had a light red/pinkish color.

Have any of you burned redbud? If so, what did you think of it?

2. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Free wood cut to length! :yes:

Never had Redbud... Sounds like you thought highly of it. I'm always looking to experiment... Just don't think there much around us.

3. Spirit of Two Socks

Spirit of Two Socks

Yeah! It was a win-win situation for sure. And they even helped me load it!:D

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Never messed with any, of course never noticed any laid out to be scrounged either...
    Glad you had good results :thumbs:

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Redbud is good... burnt some it a couple of years ago... can go wrong with it...

6. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Cut to length and helped load it, I'll take that al day long. I've never heard of Redbud, but now I have.

7. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Well now my brother, great story! But on the down side it earns you today's 'You Suck' award!:D

I burned some redbud a few years ago and it was great burning wood. It made a lot of heat for a long time.

There will be a small amount in my stacks this year. I cut a dead one on my place in late winter while clearing an area of brush. It was about 10" and remarkably solid for a dead redbud. I love the stuff but it's hard to come by a solid tree unless you cut a very live one. Plus, they don't get very big before they rot from the center outward and fall over.

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Redbud?

Pics?

9. woody5506

woody5506

They are a nice looking tree, I never heard of them until recently from a different thread on FHC. Never burned it but I would if I could! Also, the beauty of gathering/processing wood by yourself makes you appreciate the times someone is there to help you out, which is pretty rare in my experience

10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Redbud is an early blooming ornamental

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

But then again....

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

No truer words, my friend!

13. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Awesome, I grew up with folks like that guy in the rocker!

14. Spirit of Two Socks

Spirit of Two Socks

I know I'm late responding to your message. You are right about redbud. The one the maintenance guys at the college cut down had several pieces that were sort of hollow. The tree was still alive but probably not for long, I guess that's why they were cutting it down. It did burn well and if I ever get a chance I will gladly burn redbud again.

15. papadave

papadave

Nice to see that pic. We just bought one and I got it planted a couple weeks ago. Maybe I can cut it down in a few years? :whistle::rofl: :lol:

16. DNH

DNH

Just cut up a couple redbuds today from some storm damage we had overnight. It’s nice wood like others have said but unless it’s wrist size or bigger to me it’s not worth cutting into firewood length. As it’s a short statuted tree/ large shrub with lots of small dead limbs everywhere.

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I thought that was you in that rocker....:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :wacky:

:handshake: