In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The adventures of a new ope service writer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bocefus78, Apr 5, 2018.

1. saewoody

saewoody

I’m not the most skilled or an expert by any means, but that comment made me cringe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bocefus78

bocefus78

My lead technician in the shop aka shop manager drove this to work today. To say we work on anything is an understatement. This guy knows his stuff. This old girl runs like a precision watch. I told him the dog and I need a ride :) and pics.

20180413_171041.jpg

I've got a good core staff to work with. I'm excited for the growth opportunities.

I also parking lot diagnosed a few commercial guys exmark issues today. And still sold them all service rather than some switches. The safety police argument of bypassed and user installed safetys opens eyes pretty quick. I think my sales and business owner experience is being noticed. At least I hope it is.

gregbesia, Hammy, Midwinter and 13 others like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

4. basod

basod

So you're not supposed to do that?

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

No. It is better to do that on rocks. That way the stone will sharpen your chain for you...

papadave, Loon, Ou812 and 17 others like this.
  6. bocefus78

bocefus78

Today was homeowner saturday. Many driveway tune ups were done today by old men that came in for a new plug and air filter. That fixes all, right? Oil change? Naaaaaaaaa.......we don't need no stinking oil change. 1 Quart of the proper oil is too expensive.

Hammy, Midwinter, wildwest and 12 others like this.
  7. basod

basod

That oil has been under ground for millions of years- you think my lawnmower is going to hurt it?
    Now get off my lawn:BrianK:

papadave, Loon, Hammy and 23 others like this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Now that's ^ ^ ^ funny! :rofl: :lol:

papadave, Chaz, wildwest and 10 others like this.
  9. bocefus78

bocefus78

Yeah...ol basod has a great way with words if you haven't noticed brenndatomu . I hope to spend a night around a fire with him at some point in life

Chaz, wildwest, Eric VW and 11 others like this.
  10. basod

basod

I need a couple shots of lubricant to alleviate the 80 grit toilet paper side of me- other than that I'm game for Fire side deadpan.
    I'll make to one these get to gethers before I become worm food.

Hammy, fuelrod, Chaz and 10 others like this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Hitch up with an airplane next weekend and head here basod

basod, wildwest, Eric VW and 8 others like this.
  12. blacktail

blacktail

The sparks let you know it's working.

papadave, Chaz, basod and 9 others like this.
  13. bocefus78

bocefus78

A brandy new 362 came in today for an oiling issue. Operator thought she wasn't oiling enough. I didn't have time to fire it between customers so I maxed the oiler, on my granite countertops, and sent it to the techs. I bet it comes back no charge....problem not able to be duplicated.

Btw, My sales guy uses( and has named) my lil orange stihl screwdriver as a coffee stir stick lmao.

Hammy, Midwinter, basod and 10 others like this.
  14. bocefus78

bocefus78

Oops. Forgot about the pair of dudes who came in upset because menards didn't have a 22 inch chain. A good Ol 72lgx Oregon made their day. Seems they used a tape to measure the chain Lol. They left knowing they had a 20" husqv rancher. The stickers were all gone. They had no idea.

papadave, Midwinter, basod and 8 others like this.
  15. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Got to love a small town hardware store..I took my Echo CS-490 in yesterday to have my chain sharpened right. They hooked me up, and five bucks later I headed out the door. Unfortunately I got home and hit the log pile, and found that the chain wouldn’t cut anything. At all. I mean, it was turning the bark into finely ground sawdust and not even getting to the real wood. Bummer!
    I took it back in this morning and the same fella was there, and had a little bit of a puzzled look on his face. I told him what the problem was, and we went back into the shop to look at the grinding specs. It was weird, the chart had 2 different angles for the same chain, one at 25 degrees and one at 30. Obviously he picked the wrong one, through no fault of his own. He went to work on it again, and turned the 30 that had turned into a 25 back into a 30. He was really apologetic, and insisted I come back in for a free chain that he was going to transfer in for me. He turned an accidental negative into a positive, and I’ll be a long time customer seeing that that’s how they do right by folks.

papadave, Loon, gregbesia and 17 others like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

There was something else wrong...changing the angle will make it more or less aggressive...but will not make it "make dust".
    Good that he made it right though! :thumbs:

lknchoppers, Moparmyway, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  17. bocefus78

bocefus78

Yep. Mistakes happen. How you handle them is what matters most. Good on you for not getting unhappy and giving him a chance.

Hammy, Chaz, basod and 9 others like this.
  18. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Me too- I was baffled. Freshly sharpened chain, and I tried a little to a lot of pressure and I think I would have lost a competition to a serrated knife. And no, it wasn’t on backwards, lol. After he went to work on it again, it ripped through a half cord like you’d expect it to.

Hammy, Chaz, basod and 9 others like this.
  19. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Hey, I got an excuse to go hang at the hardware store 2 days in a row! What’s to be upset about that? And while he was working on the chain, we started talking about a cabin he has that’s off the grid. Conversation went from outdoor boilers to wood stoves to how to set up his water heater either tankless electric, solar, etc. I’d say it was a real productive day! Next time I’m in, he is getting an invitation to the forum!

papadave, Dancan, Hammy and 12 others like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Nice!
    :handshake: