In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Would you drive 20 minutes for this

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodwhore, Apr 15, 2018.

  1. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    Kiln dried cutoffs from a pallet co. Most of the time its 2x4 and 2x6 cutoffs and occasional hardwood like those small squares are birch. I worked there in between jobs once and my bro inlaws dad delivers for them. The owner keeps the hardwood (he burns) but most everyday they put out the scraps, i got a load of all 4 foot pieces the otherday that i used some to build the quad trays. I got a full pickup of 4 footers and gave most to one of my customers with a owb, i cut grapple loads for him every year and sell him wood. image.jpg
     
    brenndatomu, Horkn, milleo and 16 others like this.
  2. Hammy

    Hammy

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2015
    Messages:
    732
    Likes Received:
    3,522
    Location:
    New Brunswick
    I would for sure. With 4 foots there are all sorts of things I could build. If I had nothing to build I would happily burn it.
     
  3. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    I like getting wood like that, sometimes is big enough to build with or just burn. I’m lucky, they throw wood in the dumpster at work all of the time. Sometimes I can use it or I just cut it up to burn. I like burning scraps on Sunday afternoons when I’m watching tv.
     
  4. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    Well after i made that post my little guy was gettin squirrely so i took a ride. Can you find the one plank of hardwood? image.jpg
     
    brenndatomu, Horkn, milleo and 9 others like this.
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Much better for it to go to some use instead of a landfill. Projects and heat are certainly a good use of scrap wood. :thumbs:
     
  6. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Oak just right of center?
     
    brenndatomu, Horkn, Woodwhore and 7 others like this.
  7. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    maybe this one. looks close grained. upload_2018-4-15_13-27-47.png
     
    brenndatomu, Horkn, milleo and 8 others like this.
  8. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    For sure but I have a lot of these kinds of cut offs so its the supply that I have enough of already.
     
  9. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Gotta take squirrels for rides sometimes eh?
     
    MikeyB, brenndatomu, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  10. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    Oh ya he got a Happy meal and i got wood. Win win
     
    brenndatomu, Horkn, milleo and 7 others like this.
  11. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    Yep, thats it i havnt taken a close look at it to try and tell what it is. They use alot of different hardwoods
     
    Eric VW, brenndatomu, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  12. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    There's a shed building company in Haverhill that used to give away softwood cutoffs. I went there a few times. Sadly, they don't post on Craigslist anymore. And I drove to Ipswich for cut up oak pallets, and I'd do it again.
     
    Maina, Eric VW, brenndatomu and 6 others like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Some wood I'd drive 20 minutes for but not so sure about the stuff in this picture. Seems a mess trying to get it all bucked into stove length and a mess to handle.
     
    Maina, Eric VW, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  14. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    I agree, I give some of the bad 4 footers to a guy i cut grapple loads for, he has an OWB. I keep the good planks for garden boxes and other projects. Some of the wood was used on my new ATV trays. I keep the chunks of hardwood and nice size cutoffs to burn. In pics is what i got today, plus a big wood box on the porch full of 2x4 cuts. 4 footers also make nice brush pile kindling and camp fires down by the waterfall. 2BBD5A12-7465-46D1-BE44-34DC63EAF0D2.jpeg FBB8A2C9-5D32-40BB-9F9B-F221A2A237AF.jpeg