When I was in this area last year I tested this Beech where it broke off, it was punky so I left it, I've got to go back so I can check the top half of the tree.
It's almost time to check the POSTED signs, certain jerks like shooting at them during hunting season. What color signs are up on your property, we use yellow.
Mostly yellow. But I have some that are black/white/orange. Still need to put more up. But I need to be sure I put them in the right places. Have some clearing to do, etc.
Usually if the top has leaves still it's good on beech! I did cut into a coon last year though I may not like them but I still felt bad all the same. For some reason they like to hide in newly downed beech around here...
This Beech was damaged by the ice storm so I'll take this once the snow is gone, this is just south of the Beech in the original post.
It will be two weeks before I can even think about getting back in with the Rhino, we had some heavy wet chit fall on Saturday night. The Farmers' Almanac said we have a chance of another storm on the east coast around the second week of April.