Hey all, Not sure how many people know of this, perhaps everyone does already. You know the tab to open a can of beer? Sure ya do. Did you know however that many groups collect these and donate them to charities to cash in on the Aluminum value? The Legion I used to play cards at donate the proceeds to St. Judes Childrens Hospital, and a guy at work in conjunction with his old Frat donate the proceeds to the Ronald McDonald House. So, if you're sending them back to the recycling center with the rest of the can, don't waste them, make a "piggy bank" for charities. Chaz
Around here, and states that don't pay a deposit on the cans, the tabs stay put and just add to the total poundage of recycling of aluminum cans. That's what I do. But I know several people that don't recycle their cans, because we don't pay a deposit on them. That's just a waste.
I get ya there, no problems by me. Heck, I have an uncle that spent quite a few summers in Pa. driving around and collecting cans.. this was some time ago. It's also bothersome how often one can make money collecting others garbage, I hate seeing tires along the side of my road (OK.. it's not mine, but I do live here), Busch beer cans (it makes the rest of us look bad), cig boxes, pizza boxes. Seriously.. the world isn't one large garbage dump. (OK.. not yet) (Slight rant there) I just thought that for those that do get the nickel back, the tab is not required. Chaz
I have the same Folgers can with a slot cut in the lid. My tabs go to Reily children's hospital here in Indy.
You know, I was talking about this with Amy just the other day. She’s been saving my beer tabs for a couple weeks but I don’t drink very much. Anyway there’s probably a pound or so of them there. But I was kind of wondering how much you’d really get for that. Seems like it takes quite a lot of them to even weigh anything. Horkn, how much do they pay per pound?
Well, I cannot answer to what it's worth per pound, but until I heard that the Legion donated proceeds I had always returned with the can. No cost to me to take the tab off, and even if modest, it all adds up to $$. Chaz
Shawn Curry I love that cutting board. https://firewoodhoardersclub.com/fo...2c50-f711-4e71-bbe9-342f3f493671-jpeg.157206/ Do you know the wood's it's made of?? Chaz
If ya haven’t yet stumbled across Shawn Curry ‘s recent thread, here ya go... Took a piece outta my ash; Vol II PS- Shawn don’t do anything less than awesome... except midnight recon in Mich...........which I must say was still awesome
Yeah, I made it. Thanks! Yes it’s black walnut from a tree that grew at my sisters house, and a red maple that grew at mine. I made them for Christmas presents. Of course I had to give one to Amy too so I could keep one.
I KNEW it!!! I thought it was black walnut and maple, but wasn't sure so I kept my mouth shut. Gut instinct is right on occasion. That is some fine work there. Showed Jill the pics, she was like "Do you know what he could charge for them?" I'm like "no.. but we can't afford one." Your woodworking skills are top notch in my book. I like it even more that you used your own wood. Is your mill mobile?? I hired a man last year for the Black Walnut I had boarded out.. I have more tree's in mind for milling if you're on the hire. Chaz
I save up the cans into probably 4-5 bags worth at a time and get a couple of bucks at a time. Usually 45-50 cents a lb. But I always have other recyclables to take in and get paid for. Now that the local recyclers are again paying for scrap steel, I've always got a trailer load of that each summer, if not more times a year. Copper, brass, scrap aluminum, old wiring etc. It all adds up. Plus I've got those 4 catalytic converters from a stock H pipe from one of my mustangs. That has 4 cats on it, worth between $50-$200 each. I have to dig that up. That's is at least a good chunk of my AR15 build, if not cash on top of that gun. Heck, I paid for my motorcycle with the$ I saved from recycling while I worked for my dad. That was $4500 and it didn't take me that long to save up.
I don’t have a bandsaw mill, which is probably what you want. I’ve made quite a bit with my chainsaw mill and vertical bandsaw, but lately I’ve been hiring my neighbor who has an LT40 Wood Mizer.