In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

They won't let you plug a sidewall, though it's perfectly fine. I've had some shops say they can't' plug one that was about a half inch from the shoulder because it was too close to the sidewall. I just let it go and let them do it, company car and I got two tires out of it. I would have driven my own car to a parts store to get a plug kit otherwise.

2. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I took my plow.off the Bronco for the first time this winter yesterday afternoon. Yep, bam 8" of snow I didn't know was coming dumped over night.

Put the plow on this morning, and thankfully it didn't fight me for once! Truck side mount has literally been torn in two before, and welded back together, so it can be bitchy sometimes.

Tossed 6 pillows in the front seat and got to have a co-pilot too! She loves to come with me. We live on a private road, so she can cruise like that as I do 3 other neighbors driveways after ours. 20180218_080235.jpg

Erik B, NortheastAl, milleo and 14 others like this.
  3. Thor

Thor

Put her in your lap and let her steer. She will remember that her whole life. Did it with my girls and they always talk about it.

milleo, brenndatomu, rottiman and 5 others like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, that's what did it. Firestone sold crappy delaminating tires to Ford, and there were huge issues since these tires were on every explorer that was sold. Being one of the top selling SUVs, there were a ton of them out there. Members of the firestone family literally had married members of the Ford family over the years. The two families had worked together for decades, and Ford had to drop them due to all the negative press. The firestone tires went away, and even on the same unchanged vehicle, except tires, all the safety issues went away. Imagine that. :cool:

5. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I remember my dad doing that for me....then my younger brother. I remember him jerking the wheel all over the road. Thanks for that memory!

brenndatomu, Thor, rottiman and 5 others like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

What's funny is that ISO standards are made up by the company claiming the ISO standards. Basically all ISO standards mean is that they have set ways to operate as a business, and they abide by those ways.

Essentially being ISO means that you do what you say you are going to do.

7. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

The relationship went all the way back. Harvey Firestone was a close friend of Henry Ford. Though, I think that at the tme of the problems, the Firestone family no longer owned the company.

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    It is an ice rink outside. We had slush snow yesterday afternoon which turned into a snow blanket of about an inch and then it froze hard last night. Every road and sidewalk is coated with ice. Interesting walk this morning. Clear skies and the sun coming up. It is going to be a bright day today.

edit: I don't know where my weather sticker is getting its info but it definitely below freezing and clear skies.

9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

That’s awesome! Good times!!!:thumbs:

Chvymn99, yooperdave, Thor and 6 others like this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

That was the old ISO - new ISO is not that way. With the old ISO you could make concrete lifesavers. As long as you had the correct documents (per the standard), Had set ways to make it (auditing to make sure of that), then it was perfectly fine and easy to get certified. Most likely wouldn't save any lives with the product, but that wasn't a consideration.

The new ISO requires you to take risks into consideration (all risks, internal and external). You also have to take into consideration intent (does the object do what it is intended to do - do the inputs satisfy the requirements of the desired output). A lot of people believe it is just "do what you say, and say what you do". No longer.

11. Horkn

Horkn

Well, the iso standards I'm talking about are operational standards. IE, the whole process of how orders get processed. We get a PO from a customer, and the order gets entered into our business software, and then parts get ordered, we build the item and send it to them. Etc.

Chvymn99, brenndatomu, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You need to come to a GTG to get away from all that for a while! :D Seriously, I hope things do settle down for you. Most of us have had times like those and it can get very frustrating.

13. bogieb

bogieb

Pretty much what we do. Maybe not ISO 9001 then. Course sometimes I get confused since we went to AS9100 - it contains the ISO 9001 standard, and then some.

14. fishingpol

fishingpol

Running around type of day today. I've settled into the shop to work on some power tools. My table saw stopped working the other day. I opened the cabinet to get at the safety switch. The neutral wire from the power cord was never crimped into the connector. It was heavily taped. The other two got hot at some point. The neutral had about a half inch of exposed copper, but taped. I bought this saw used, and I wonder if someone did the good enough with tape. I'll replace the snap in receptacle in the saw case as the neutral was barely held in.

20180218_155113.jpg

The last part for my 1940's Delta 4 speed scroll saw arrived. This was a scrap yard find, and it was mostly intact. I bought it since it can cut thin gauge sheet metal. I had to fabricate one half of the upper jaw to hold the blade since the holding screw was a very odd sized thread. It has a 24" throat. Cast iron frame and all metal for the parts

20180218_155554.jpg

The bottom foot and guide assembly were off Ebay and very reasonaby priced.

20180218_155846.jpg

I believe this is the original Sunlight electric motor. It can take a 1/3 hp motor. These were made for trade schools/light industrial use.

20180218_155608.jpg

Also cleaning up some Stillson wrenches to sell. Trying to teach my young son about restoring and selling old tools. He takes the wrenches apart, I clean them, he oils and buffs them out. They are only worth a few bucks, but he learns the value of old rusty tools. Bottom one is about ready to go.

1518989107578513361597.jpg

We just finished these clamps. They were completely rusted and stuck. A bit of cleaning and oiling and they are good. I may actually keep these as they are a handy size. Some of the tools we bring home look beyond hope, but a little determination and they usually work out. We also look up the tools history to see when and where they were made.

1518989380044710793848.jpg

15. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Nice work and passing on the passion to your son is also fantastic, Jon :yes::salute:
    :handshake:

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I met the elderly couple that lives near the place I pick lil one up from the bus. Of course they are delightful. He called this morning, turns out he's 88 years old. Old house with likely 50 year old galvanized aluminum on his roof, he said the wind last night "loosened" 3 panels. WWW's company is not cheap for repairs, between payroll, workmans comp, insurance etc, well, they don't do handyman work kwim? WWW just walked in, said the panels were bent & standing up at a 90* angle, and we have a snow storm coming tonight, gathered up some tools and special screws and a ladder and is headed back there -as a neighbor. Good Man!

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Excellent :thumbs::yes::handshake:
    :usa:

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:tip:to wildwest for getting a good fella!!!

19. rottiman

rottiman

BIG x2

20. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I remember seeing an Explorer upside down with a blown Firestone on the front. This was right at the Time of the warnings.

clemsonfor, bogieb, wildwest and 3 others like this.