No power=no coffee No problem That Melita drip does make good coffee, had to hook the grinder up to the inverter hooked to the motorcycle battery in the basement, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
You should have seen me trying to help get two teenage daughters and my wife out the door with no power. Nice and quiet in here now just me, my coffee and FHC.
Ive done similar in the last outage we had. Used the stove to get water hot, then poured it into the regular drip maker. Worked great. Don't know about Maine, but here, if a leaf blows the wrong direction, our power goes out.
Good creativhity. I've been meaning to make a coffe video, I have five different ways to make coffee on the wood stove.
No power is like a challenge to the typical woodburner! Then, after you handle the coffee challenge, then ask, "what else"?
Ok, then, why in the blazes do these goofy transformers keep popping? No lines down anywhere near (and yes, I know something farther out can affect my home). Spill the beans, man. Don't envy the job you have.
Believe it or not squirrels and birds are a huge problem. We spend countless hours each year wildlifeing the system. It is a great job. Just not for everyone.
You guys are a very unique kinda cat. The work you do… whew… (most have no idea how many "surprises" you can run into)… can be incredibly dangerous. Playing with super high voltages in the blowing/pouring rain is just one. When I was doing com elec sign work, we met a lot of your brothers out there. Every one of them (CMP and Bangor Hydro in Maine) were great guys and always willing to help us. I had an old big sign we were taking down with our crane, literally start to come apart mid-air as it was sliding up and off it's 2 poles. It was 10 feet from a major roadway. I stopped lifting and we secured tag lines… but, we were screwed because we had no way to get the whole mess down or back on it's poles. Someone was watching over us… a Bangor Hydro bucket truck was coming right at us up the road within 10 minutes, totally by chance. I waved them down, told them what had happened and begged them to help. Guy said "No problem". 5 minutes later they were on their way. When you can "fly" around something like our mess, in a bucket (like you do all day), it didn't take long to get the sign structure down to the ground and secured. Great guys. You prolly have so many "stories" you can't keep track.
"wildlifeing" … I gotta remember that one… I do a lot of that here with a herd of red squirrels… me an Giz, of course…
I've seen one squirrel at my house in 13 years, and that was about 6 years ago on a cold February morning. I watched it climb the utility pole in the front yard, land on top of the transformer, and pow. Fried squirrel. The utility company made it out pretty quick to replace the fuse/breaker/whatever it is up there that tripped after I called and explained the suicidal squirrel to them.