In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chimney safety

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Midwestjdgreen, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Midwestjdgreen

Midwestjdgreen

There's a hole on the bottom where the fan pushes the air out. There's also one on the back side but I'm not totally sure what that would be for.

yooperdave and wildwest like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Dave, suppose this was used in tandem with the LP furnace in the pic? Bottom hole hot air to old LP, back hole to chimney?

upload_2018-1-23_9-23-40.png

yooperdave likes this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

PS Midwestjdgreen , the manual says for every 90* elbow the chimney pipe needs to be 6' taller. But straight up without any elbows is better. Roof? How about cap off the old vent and leave it?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    yooperdave likes this.
  4. Midwestjdgreen

Midwestjdgreen

I feel very confident that the stove is safe. I will never run the fan though unless I'm around to watch it. I got the stove for free and will only use it to heat my 10 by 20 foot garage. Kinda testing it to see if I would like one in my house.

wildwest likes this.
  5. Midwestjdgreen

Midwestjdgreen

Ya I've decided I'll just make a new hole. Will probably make everything that much easier.

wildwest likes this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yeah, the ones I've seen are add ons to existing ducted systems...(forced air). Although the holes on top are for duct work to be tied in with the existing ductwork and the vent is usually on the backside of the unit.

The hole on the back of the unit is where the blower was traditionally attached. It would blow the heated air across the firebox and up through the hole on top of the unit which would be connected to existing duct work.

I have seen one unit where it was used in a garage by itself. The blower motor was still hooked up to the rear side of the unit and the vent hooked up to a masonry chimney. The top of the unit; where the heat is blown out of; had nothing more than a 2' to 3' length of pipe with a standard 90 degree register boot on the top of it facing whatever direction you wanted the heated air to flow. I kinda scoffed at it until I saw /felt it in action....it worked quite well for only blowing through a 6" pipe at head level! Heated up the garage in no time.

With the configuration that your unit is set up in...blowing the air down and out of the bottom of the unit, I would think that you will be driven out of a 10 X 20 garage in no time at all.....SW Mn or not!

wildwest likes this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

From this drawing it looks like the blower was originally on the bottom.

yooperdave and wildwest like this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yes. Probably a removable plate on the rear side for rear mount option...

wildwest likes this.