Things here in Southern Ohio are starting to ramp up with new wells and production. I work for a gas utility, I can't believe how busy we are and the amount of OT we are getting. My Wife's grandma just signed Wednesday for $12000 and acre and 20% royalties! Nuts....... It is a very exciting time in this area, and many new overnight millionaires.
Watch out for the granola group. They won't let it be transported out. I hope grandma has a smart family making sure she is well advised.
It sure is a windfall of jobs, money and energy for our state! I hope they keep some of that energy reserved for Ohio residences and business's, making Ohio "the place" for cheap energy. I see your right in the middle of it being in Cambridge. I'm right on the outside of the shale deposits. Hopefully grandma has a big farm! I have a friend who's parents own 300 acres of an old reclaimed coal strip mine in SE Ohio and they got a bundle too. I think they paid $500/acre for that property 25 years ago. I thought at the time, who would buy an old coal strip mine no matter how cheap it was?! Now that decision paid for their retirement.
Yes lots of money in that area now, I have family and friends that got a big payday from that as well. Crazy the amount of money being paid down there right now.
Well, I'm a granola. A well was recently put in less than 2 miles from my place. There is no way I would ever buy this farmhouse because of that. I buy my drinking water. Drilling is only another reason I want to move from this state.
I know no one knows what the future holds, but what negatives have you seen in Ohio from drilling? I haven't heard of any water tables being ruined and such. I know I work in the industry, but I definitely have an open mind to both sides.
I am in PA. There are sites on the internet that list the violations placed on the drilling companies. The horror stories you hear from North Dakota about crime, traffic, and cost of living, are the same ones that came from Nortern Tier/Wellsboro area when the drilling first began. A family settled a massive lawsuit in Washington County about a year ago. The dumping of waste water in the rivers, the shipping of the waste water to be stored in Ohio wells, the earthquakes around Youngstown, etc. can all be found on the internet. Another factor not mentioned is that the farmland is highly devalued once the ogm rights are sold. You may own the land but the oil/gas companies own everything underneath and have all rights.
Well if it's on the internet it must be true! I know it isn't all peachy, but around here farm land has not been devalued w/o rights. Actually, it has has stayed steady or increased in value with more people coming to the area and buying. I have 30 acres I just bought 2 years ago w/o rights and I'm glad I got it when I did. The 22 acres next to mine I tried buy up this fall sold for 4200 and acre, that is almost double what I bought mine for and there is no building spot on the property! Im feeling pretty good about myself for buying when I did, because I wouldn't have been able to afford my 30. I know everything they are doing isn't good for the environment , but it has come along ways. Most of the well sites are very tidy and extremely strict on any type of spills. PA def. got a bad wrap on the way they were doing things, I'm hoping that Ohio learns from all the other states that have experienced the boom. Time will tell, but I'm not going anywhere just because of drilling.
Much of the money financing the anti-fracking movement comes from the Arabian peninsula. The last thing they want is an energy independent USA. And Americans are suckers for a good environmental Armageddon sob story, even if its just Saudi financed propaganda.
We need to go back to being independent, not co-dependent. Jobs are first. Always will be. Then comes pathways, not roadblocks.
I have felt the earthquakes from here, hear the sonic booms, see the blinding lights on, and see the negative effects every day of all sorts of mining. Do I want to be a "Charleston, WV" victim? No. I would rather move to an area where it won't affect me. Unfortunately, money rules the world.