In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

CDL Inquiry

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by bear 1998, Jan 20, 2018.

1. bear 1998

bear 1998

Is there anyone who can give me any info on how to obtain a cdl class b w/hazmat endorsement in pennsylvania?
    What my options are .....how long it takes....how difficult is it, etc,etc.
    Thanks

Woodslave likes this.
  2. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

Contact DMV. They have the written tests, then training permit, a little study to learn how to do the pre trip inspection, then on to a testing facility for the road tests. You will also need a DOT physical from an approved physician. The hazmat is just a written test and a background check and finger print registration on national data base. Do yourself a favor and get the air brake endorsement also.

3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Do you have access to a truck to drive and take the test in? If not, and you are going to have to rent/go to a driving school, I would recommend getting your class A. It will give you far more options.

brenndatomu likes this.
  4. bear 1998

bear 1998

The thing about it is....I really feel I don't want to run an 18 wheeler. My main objective is home....l.p. or heating oil delivery.

5. ironpony

ironpony

get the B and get on with a fracking outfit, they will pay good money to have you sit and watch a Vac truck, then occasionally drive it to empty. Should be some opportunity in your area????

6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I totally get that, but is there enough work to keep you busy year round in one of those trucks? If you have an A, it gives you a lot more options if ever needed.

Should cost about the same, the only difference is the walk around and license rodeo.

I drove a heavy wrecker, so I drove a class B truck, but towed VERY heavy. Just gave up my CDL a few months ago after not using it for 10 years.

7. bear 1998

bear 1998

If I'm not mistaken....most fracking is done north to northeast me (about 3-4 hr drive)

8. Woodslave

Woodslave

Check out local school bus jobs, they will train you on there buses. That will get you a cdl class b with air brake endorsement. When I did this back in Ma they had the course and you either paid $500 or drove for them for 3 months. I had a part time job driving for a concrete company, no way to train me in the single seat concrete trucks. I had my hazmat endorsement when I drove a fuel truck. That was a hard test, I went on line and bought the questions and answers for that test and tanker endorsement. I found it was easier for me to study the questions rather than the book. If you get everything you need to work for a fuel company see if you can train on propane delivery, it's so much cleaner. Good luck

bear 1998 likes this.