In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The best thing since a milk crate

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by fox9988, Mar 17, 2014.

  1. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    "If you are using a vertical splitter, try laying sheet of 3/4" plywood on the ground next to the base. Place a 24" length of pipe about where the middle of the round will be when you flop it over. With the pipe as roller you will be amazed how much easier it to move those big pieces. :thumbs:".
    Quoted from Oliver in another thread.

    I tried this recently with some 24" oak. I used a piece of 1-1/2 pvc and a scrap of plywood that was laying around. Wow, much easier to position the rounds on the foot of the splitter. Do yourself a favor and try it.
     
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I was converted this year, been splitting most everything I have horizontal. My back thanks me too.
    I will split horizontal with the larger rounds, I'll look into this method to make things a little easier, thanks
     
    nate likes this.
  3. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    That reply looks petty familiar. :) Getting a piece of pipe under there on a firm surface makes for a night and day difference when handling the big rounds. Having a hookaroon and/or pulp hooks to do any final positioning makes it even easier on your body.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    And, of course, if not some pvc or galvanized pipe, one can always cut a short and small limb.... I've even laid down an axe or cant hook to roll the log onto. Wanted to use one of my wife's legs once but it didn't work very well.