In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Electric Line & Min Clearance to Combustibles

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ReelFaster, Jan 10, 2018.

  1. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,876
    Likes Received:
    19,923
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    So in my ongoing homeword of replacing my open FP with an insert. Couple more questions came to mind. One is electric being that most inserts have a blower. Are most of them equipped with just a plug or can you hardwire it? Also if hard wiring or using an outlet box I assume that elec box is mounted in the fireplace box? If so what type of special wiring if any or outlet box are you using?

    Other question is how strict are folks following the guidelines on the clearance to combustibles. Looking at some inserts and their min clearance my setup would not work. My hearth is only 12" Deep, for this Timberline am looking at they want min of 22". Also my mantle is too low they want 30" from the top of the door to the combustible mantle I've only got 12" inches however I can raise it up if need be but not 30". I know this is all what you personally feel comfortable or safe with and always a risk not following the guidelines.
     
  2. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    My insert is plugged into the wall in an adjacent room with an extension cord. We have one of those plastic covers that looks like a mini speed bump covering it. We also have a timer to turn off the blower if we let the stove cool overnight, the thermostat turns it off too early and cycles the blower on and off as the stove is cooling. You should honor the clearance to combustibles.. if you have an issue, you will have less difficulty getting an insurance claim through if you can show that you followed the manufacturers recommendations. Consider extending the hearth pad out from the fireplace to have required distances. You can buy a temporary one that you put down during the heating season and roll up in the summer. Also, you could replace the mantle in its current location with a nice piece of heat absorbing blue stone or something similar.... have you posted pics somewhere?

    https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...420-c-6857.htm?tid=9142867604562910648&ipos=1
     
    ReelFaster likes this.
  3. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,876
    Likes Received:
    19,923
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Thank you! That hearth extender is a excellent idea and I should be using it now! I now put a piece of cardboard as a few times the fire snapped and some flew out past the hearth onto the carpet. I know ridiculous putting cardboard down and unsafe! Never thought about the mantle neither, another great idea since it's no combustible I don't have to worry as much! Thanks for the tips! Below is a pic of my setup, sorry it's so blurry! FP.jpg
     
  4. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    You could move that piece of stone that is your hearth up to the mantle position as it would provide a good heat shield for the TV. Then just get a newer bigger piece of stone slab to extend the hearth out to where you need.... the current mantle? Well, that’s some pretty darn good seasoned firewood!!! :whistle:
     
    papadave and ReelFaster like this.
  5. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,876
    Likes Received:
    19,923
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Trying to do with minimal amount of work if possible. Am liking the hearth extender and stone mantle!
     
  6. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,876
    Likes Received:
    19,923
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Any idea's on electric? Are most folks just plugging into a nearby outlet? I have an ash sweep in my current firebox, little access door in back of the box with another little access door in the basement to clean out ash. Thinking I could easily run a line up it but just concerned about the heat, wondering if anyone has done something similar? thanks!
     
  7. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    If I was in your situation, I’d just go to a nearby outlet..
     
  8. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,876
    Likes Received:
    19,923
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Problem is I really don't have a close by outlet, I'd have to install one and if am gonna install one I'd rather hide plug and box out of site if possible.
     
  9. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Run an extension cord in the near term. (free). Install the outlet later when you have an idea of where is best to put it.
     
    papadave likes this.
  10. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    If you can route a wire through the Ash dump I think you would fine. The inserts have blowers and wiring for the rheostat and have no trouble with heat.
     
  11. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,195
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Code is that the plug must be accessible at any/all times, and in the same room as the stove...but cannot be inside the FP. So basically, a nearby outlet.
    From the FP dimensions that you list, that FP is gonna be a tough one to make anything work in there...not saying it can't be done, but I think its gonna be an uphill battle the whole way.