In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First Ride..................

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Jan 28, 2014.

  1. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,510
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Very nice pictures....I really love the winter with a good snow cover and an open woods. I know it's been a bruiser of a winter but I have really enjoyed it.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  2. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The sleds have made this winter a bit easier, it's been a cold one but the end is near.

    We always look forward to winter, just not this cold.

    I'll take two more weeks of sledding, if we only get one more that will be okay.
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    A nice vid of the groomer well south of here.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I put about 10 miles on the sled later this afternoon, it might be cold but the sun is strong.

    Picture 8692 is the opening at the end of 8E, the smaller part of the trail that runs through the woods, pic 8693 is part of trail 8E going out to the road, pic 8694 is at the gate headed back in on our property.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Went out for about ten miles, I realize it's still cold out but boy is the sun strong. In picture 8705 you can see where the groomer had been.
     

    Attached Files:

    Locust Post and Gasifier like this.
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice woodlands. Nice. Thanks for sharing it with us.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The warmer weather is near Gasifier, just a matter of time.

    It's time for me to get the milling chains ready, they need a cleaning and a good sharpening.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I didn't realize it until the other day in the woods when I needed it. My small Stihl (009) had apparently gotten damp or wet and the chain rusted/seized right up to the bar. UGH. That will teach me for not paying closer attention to my back up saw! :mad:
     
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I remember a few times when I was cutting in the winter a couple of years ago, I never loosened the chain up when I came in that afternoon, frozen solid the next day.

    Once I get home I loosen up the chains before I call it a day, I should wipe the bar off too.

    I've been thinking of making a place fo my bars to hang in the basement, just for the winter.
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We took a trip to the Thirsty Moose in Childwold New York for lunch today, with the sun getting stronger we figured this would be our last chance this year.

    The trails up this way are great, once you get 30 miles south of here some are getting bad. The total trip was just over 74 miles, attached are some pics of the trip with a pic of lunch.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Just a few more when we were coming back.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier likes this.
  12. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Now that looks like a good time!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    When we hit the trails this morning the trails were just groomed, some of the best riding this year.
     
    Well Seasoned and Gasifier like this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Just some pictures of some plowing after the storm, we also stuck in a ride on the sleds, we went about 10 miles.
    The first two pics are the plowing, with the rhino to the wood stacks and the Ford after clearing the driveway, the next 4 are after I packed down the new snow on our property, the next three are out on the trails.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier and Well Seasoned like this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The last picture from todays ride, it's from the state park down the road from us.

    They have two sides, one is for the sleds the other is for cross - country skiing which looked like it had been freshly groomed.
     

    Attached Files:

    Well Seasoned likes this.
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I took the sled out for about 12 miles, I did some trail running on our property then headed up 8E, on my way back I met the groomer on 8E just off of the road, I had a nice talk with the operator (Dan Collins) thanked him for all the volunteer work he puts in, I did ask him if he did the State Park, yes.....I just came from the State Park.

    The first three pictures are from our property, the last two from the State Park.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier and Well Seasoned like this.
  17. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Really great pics. That lunch looked absolutely killer. Hope you get another 2 weeks of fun. Except in the woods, everything is melting rapidly here. Processing won't be long now.
     
  18. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We're in for another cold night with a regular temp of -18 then hopefully we're in for a rise in temps.

    It would be nice if I could start taking the Rhino back in by the first week of April.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  19. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Beautiful
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  20. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice pics woods! I have not been snowmobiling in a few years. Usually go up to my friends place near Cranberry Lake a couple of times a winter. But have not done it in two years. Next year for sure. I should also find an inexpensive one for here some day.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.