In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Synthetic ATV Winch Rope/Cable

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by XXL, Jan 8, 2018.

  1. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    I am thinking of replacing my ATV's old kinked/frayed steel winch cable. Should I go steel cable again or upgrade to the synthetic winch rope?

    Looking for pros/cons, opinions and real world experience.
     
    RCBS and Hammy like this.
  2. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Lot of stretch in any kind of rope and it snaps a lot easier than steel cable, both are dangerous when that happens. Rope is good on a capstan type winch but not on a self contained one, additionally the dang synthetics when under pressure will glue themselves together on the drum. Just my experience yours could be different.
     
    XXL, LongShot, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,274
    Likes Received:
    66,600
    Location:
    IN
    I've used both. I don't use my winch a lot, but the synthetic stuff seems to be holding up just fine. I like it because you don't get splinters, it is lighter, and a lot more flexible. Just have to be more careful because it more prone to getting abrasion damage. It will have some stretch at first, but I don't notice too much now.
     
    XXL, RCBS and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    I too have considered going to synthetic but so far have held off.
     
    XXL and RCBS like this.
  5. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,304
    Likes Received:
    31,290
    Location:
    Over here
    He's talking about this kind of rope:

    AmsteelBlue.com - Best price on genuine Amsteel™ Blue Synthetic Winch Lines and Rope
     
    Flamestead and XXL like this.
  6. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    I was just thinking about the synthetic rope and our current weather conditions. I suspect that if the rope were to get wet and then the weather gets cold, more so than a steel cable, the rope could freeze together on the drum.
     
  7. Flamestead

    Flamestead

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2013
    Messages:
    2,167
    Likes Received:
    10,974
    Location:
    Windsor County, VT