In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My Christmas tree is growing.........

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by NH mountain man, Jan 7, 2018.

  1. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I cut our tree down on Dec. 2nd. It went right in the house with water. Now due to the heat in the living room from cranking the stove for this subzero weather it is budding out all over, I is drinking 2 pints of water a day. Kinda cool! It has happened to us before. DSCN1768.JPG DSCN1771.JPG DSCN1769.JPG
     
  2. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    You just can't help it, can you? You both are great gardeners!
     
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Wow, I've never seen a cut tree do that! Shows you really are taking good care of it. My tree is fake, but it is still up. I leave it up until I tire of it. Seems to shorten the winter.
     
  4. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Another comment, what an old fashion looking tree. I haven't seen a tree like that for at least 35 years. Brings back lots of old fond memories. Tinsel, big lights, traditional glass ornaments and a real living tree. I almost had forgotten what a tree looked like when I was a kid. Thank you for sharing.
     
    Horkn, milleo, Well Seasoned and 4 others like this.
  5. 460magpro

    460magpro

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2014
    Messages:
    462
    Likes Received:
    2,411
    Location:
    usa
    That is cool never seen that happen before
     
  6. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,531
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Seeing as ours was bought and probably cut down quite a while before we bought it, it definitely didn't bud and didn't drink much water. That is so cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Yeah, around here the commercial cutters begin cutting Christmas trees in October! That's a long time for them to go without water.
     
  8. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    That's what I said to Barb, "you can get something that was dead to grow!"
     
  9. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I go to a farm 5 miles away that plants hundreds of trees out back in the big fields, all they do is mow around them once or twice a year, they do no shaping, just field grown. They have a steel box bolted to a pole with saws hanging on it. You grab a saw and walk through the trees and drive over to another field and look at those while remembering your favorite so far. Narrow it down and do the deed. Hang the saw back on the pole and stick ten bucks in the slot on the steel box. You hardly ever see anyone, I've been doing this for decades and never even seen the farmer out back once. Here are a couple other pics with out the morning sun. DSCN1772.JPG DSCN1773.JPG
     
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    X 2

    Fabulous cherry tomatoes! :drool:

    They were like skittles for healthy people!
     
  11. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Yeah, they were good. She ripened all the green ones indoors that were picked right before the frost. We had fresh Cherry tomatoes into mid December
     
    Well Seasoned and Midwinter like this.
  12. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,651
    Likes Received:
    39,085
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    When we still had fresh trees, we had new growth start after being in the house for a few weeks.